2003 Thread - SINCE IT'S RECRUITING TIME....BIGGEST FLOPS IN LSU HISTORY -- ANY SPORT

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Hub, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Hub

Hub Founding Member

I'm sure there are thousands. And when I say flop I mean was "HIGHLY" thought of and didn't amount to $HIT. I would love to put J Booty on here but I can't......he didn't meet the "hype" but he wasn't a total flop.

Ones that come to mind:

Lester Earl

The "Fab Five" running backs Hallman brought in.....all sucked except Toomer...he was OK.

Randy Livingston - yes injuries set him back but he never did anything

I'll think of more give me yours.

2. Hub

Hub Founding Member

others in recent years:

Thomas Dunson

Adam McConathy

Ed Dangerfield

Brad Smalling

3. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

This is not a player yet a head coach. I would have to say in the early 90's in football Curley Hallman. His 4 years as head coach all had loosing seasons.

4. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Who was worse Hallman or Mike Archer ???

5. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

RB?

Who was that RB that we signed a couple of years ago from a small LA HS (I think). ND wanted him real bad but this guy couldn't get in the mix his freshman year and transferred. Who am I thinking of and where is he now (Parquet maybe)?

6. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

I have to say.....

football: Jermaine Sharpe, rb out of Monroe......Michael Hays, WR out of Opelousas.... and I can't remember his name but the only mistake I think Saban has made in recruiting, and that is that Linebacker out of Florida, I can't recall his name though, but all he did was get into trouble....and another bust from the Dinardo Era was Cecil Collins, RB out of Leesville......all the potential in the world a shame he had the mentaility of a child.

This is kinda off topic: but the biggest recruits to get away from Louisiana before Saban came here...

Anthony Thomas RB out of Winnfield
    Warrick Dunn RB out of Baton Rouge
    Travis Minor RB out of Baton Rouge
    Major Applewhite QB out of Baton Rouge
    Talman Gardner WR out of New Orleans
    Kerry Watkins WR out of New Orleans

I can't think of anymore sure we could name a bunch of those too

7. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

perquoet came from.....

Perquoet (sp) came from Rummel, not exactly a small school...and I don't think he was recruited by norte dame....and I think he transferred to the bluff but not too sure about that either.

8. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

Tito Horford has to be in the top ten on any such list. Does anyone remember the SI cover "Dark Days at LSU" with Daddy Dale on the cover? It came out right around the time of the Horford deal (circa 1984). Horford, from what I remember, was a highly recruited star who never played a minute of basketball at LSU. He eventually landed at U. of Miami and never really did much. His recruitment drew the ire of the NCAA, which, I believe, was the impetus (or one of them) behind Dale's quixotic quest against the NCAA.

And, the all time biggest bust at LSU in terms of talent that did not amount to much other than on the Dade County Prison football team .....

Cecil "The Diesel" Collins

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Chris Pettaway in football

A Parade All American offensive lineman from Florida. Big guy. Stayed four years at LSU and never even lettered, much less started. Apparently he was a man among boys in high school, but turned out to be a total disaster when competing with men his own size.

Ray Borner in basketball

6-10 center from Australia, a former Australian Rules Football player. Rough on the floor, always fouled out in the first half. He would just hammer people unashamedly and seemed to think American basketball was for sissies, Played one year and went back home.

10. PlaneauxTiger

PlaneauxTiger Founding Member

Biggest basketball bust

Biggest roundball bust in recent years has to be Fess Irvin. Carroll Boudreaux is another HS All-American that never did much. Of course, Dale was coaching them.

In the last few years, Derron Parquet is probably the biggest football bust. He was ranked ahead of Devery Henderson coming out of high school -- he was a 4-star top 20 back. Last I heard, he was sitting on the bench at Univ of Memphis behind a true freshman.