2004-2005 College Bowl Bound Team Grad Rates

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TejasTiger, Dec 7, 2004.

1. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

2. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

These are from the latest grad. rate statistics which do not include Nick Saban's recruits. Give it a couple of years and you will see our grad. rates rise.

3. FloridaHawk82

FloridaHawk82 Founding Member

Tejas,

Thanks, that is interesting info... Even if I don't like them, I certainly respect Notre Dame, Syracuse, and Boston College with those grad rates.

Iowa Coach Kirk Ferentz has a clause in his contract that pays him a huge bonus based on a combination of number of wins and a graduation rate above 55%.

Saban certainly had the reputation in the B10 as a coach of STUDENT-athletes, and I'm sure it is the same at LSU... I agree that te LSU grad rates will increase...

4. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Source: 2004 NCAA Graduation Rates Report 1997-98 graduation (6-year) rates, 4-class average (freshmen classes of 1994-95, 1995-96, 1996-97 and 1997-98)

I really wish that people would quit using this report and judging LSU for graduation rates PRIOR TO our current football administration. Sadly, it's happening all over the 'Net, and especially at certain fan forums who will remain nameless.

5. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

They way I read the link is the numbers are based on the 97-98 school year. With the emphasis Nick places on academics (re Academic Center) I agree with everyone else that those numbers should improve considerably.

6. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

I've said this time and time again...Graduation rates are the most askewed statistics around. The positive rates consider the athtletes who enter college and graduate with the freshman class in which they entered. Any deviation from this hurts the statistic. Examples: If it takes a guy 5 or more years to graduate it lowers the rate. If a JC guy comes in and graduates, it's not counted in the rates. If players leave early ala Michael Clayton, lowers the rate. (Regardless of the fact he's making 10 times what he would if he graduated in his major and got a job.) Also, look at the graduation rates for the entire student body for freshman entering that graduate in four years with it's entering freshman class. So, if you're going to look at things like this, IMO having worked at numerous universities, the better statistic to look at is grade point average for athletes compared to that of the regular student body. Now, it's also not a perfect reflection either because of variables, but I think it's not as askewed a stat as graduation rates.

7. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

Agree. Also does not make allowance for athletes who transfer (in good academic standing) and graduate on time from another school. :nope:

8. BMoney

BMoney Founding Member

I agree with much of what you say. However, remember that these surveys give those freshmen 6 years in which to graduate and be counted. That's why it's limited to the 1998 incoming class.

LSU's graduation rates will go up dramatically as Nick Saban's recruits become the majority of the players looked at in this kind of survey.

9. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

fact of the matter is, this is higher than it used to be at LSU.. from what ive read, the average GPA amongst athletes is actually higher than amongst the student body as a whole... i think something that should be looked at is the low rate for the whole school.. 55 percent grad rate is pretty bad...

10. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

Actually I'd say a 55 percent is probably about normal. Like I said the Graduation Rate counts a person who enters as a freshman attends school for four years and graduates with their freshman class. Any deviation from that exact scenario hurts the rate. Take for instance me, I entered college as a freshman attended for a year, withdrew for Army training and work for a year and a half, came back and eventually finished and graduated. My scenario hurts the Graduation Rate, despite the fact that I did graduate. It's because I didn't graduate in the Rate's time frame it counts against it. That's is why I argue so vehemently against Graduation Rates as not being a very good gauge of things. Plus, the assumption that those who don't graduate in the Rate's time frame are just drop outs and bums is totally wrong. What is the purpose of a college education? Most would likely say to educate you in a particular field so you can gain employment and make something out of yourself. Well, for athletes who leave college early to go on to pro sports and make tons of money...hasn't college helped them to achieve that goal?