2004 - A Review of Les Miles First Season (Hypothetical)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by uscpuke, Jan 7, 2005.

1. uscpuke

uscpuke Founding Member

So I got to thinking, what would Tiger fans be saying if Nick had left last year with Chicago and Les Miles was hired for this season and the season played out exactly the same way? I think many Tiger fans would be saying:
    1) Les Miles cannot coach DB's the way Saban did. Corey Webster went from All-American under Saban to average under Miles.
    2) He plays a much less agressive defensive style.
    3) He does not handle the QB situation very well. Saban would never have played 2 QB's!!
    4) He has not proven he can win a bowl game, and the Capital One bowl is no exception.
    5) The Tigers turn the ball over too much. He needs to coach better fundamentals.

If Miles had this exact same year, what would your thoughts be? I have a feeling that many Tiger fans would not be very happy overall with the way the season played out had a new coach had exactly this type of season.

2. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

good post :thumb:

3. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

I would only be complaining about the QB situation. But I have complained constantly about that all season. I was excited about Russell but after a couple of games and some piss poor decision making I was hoping he would at least try Flynn out.

I've been relatively happy with the running game. The OL doesn't seem to be as good as last year but their conditioning and strength proved crucial in the 4th quarter and the running game saved us.

The QB situation was the critical failure this season. No consistency no matter who was playing. Randall bailed us out a couple of times and Russell bailed us out in the Capital One Bowl and gave us a chance to win.

Also, I would complain about the defense a bit because they weren't as aggressive and didn't run the aggressive schemes they did last season. But as you can see in another thread I complained about that too.

So in the end if Miles was coach in 2004 I would be pissing and moaning about the same thing I was already. I might be hollering a little louder because a new coach would be in there and it appeared things were a lot different. So finally I would still be complaining about the QB, defense schemes, and OL/running game.

We've all complained about things this season but if Miles was coach in 2004 we would just be complaining louder and laying the blame on the coach when some of the blame goes to losing some studs on defense, losing a steady QB, etc.
    Hey guys we were still 9-2 in the season.

4. Houma Tiger

Houma Tiger Founding Member

Fightin TIGER, please tell me that pic of Saban was done on photoshop, I hope he is not going for the Wanstat look.

5. uscpuke

uscpuke Founding Member

Good points. In fairness to Saban, he did earn the fans respect and so people were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. The reason I wanted to point this out is b/c I know no matter what Miles does next season, the comparisons will happen, and I wanted people to remember that even one of the top 3 college coaches in America struggled at times.
    Don't get me wrong, I expect Miles to win right away but let us not have an inflated perception of what our former coach would be doing had he chosen to remain.

6. Geekboy

Geekboy Founding Member

Excellent.

7. jwb0581

jwb0581 Founding Member

I don't know. I can't concentrate on anything uscpuke writes on account of that horse's ass in my periphial vision.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

great observation and you're correct....many would be calling for his head and thats the funny thing about perception. I'd prolly be saying NS would have never handled the Qbs this way or the o-line would have been coached better early or we wouldnt miss so many damn PATs or give up 2 blocked punts in one game or give up a streak route for a td with no time left or being disrespected by that flag in Auburn because he is NS.

p.s. peripheral

9. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

MONEY! :)

10. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

One thing I am a bit perplexed at is how so many are saying that Saban's defense was always very good.

We had a insane defense last year and a solid one this year

BUT

We did give up 45 to UGA
    Did give up a last quarter drive to Auburn
    Did give up 30 points to Iowa

And so forth....Saban was never "perfect" and neither will Miles