2005 Biggest Recruit

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by j0nathanr0y, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I'm not so sure about that. A lot depends on how well Vince Young plays this year for the Wronghorns and how the LSU QB situation sorts itself out during the season. If Young were to have a monster year (very doubtful) RP would know that he would ride the pine at Texas for at least a year. If Young sucks again this season (more likely) RP would have a legitmate shot at starting as a true freshman. I have no idea how the kid thinks but if he is capable of evaluating the long range view the best case scenario for LSU would be for JaMarcus to take over the starting QB job early and look so great that it would be a lock for him to turn pro after the 2005 season. That would create a situation where a redshirt freshman RP would compete for the starting position with a redshirt junior Matt Flynn. If Marcus Russell is the starter for the entire season and Russell and Flynn only get playing time in the blowout games it would still be an unknown factor for RP whether he thought he could get significant playing time competing with both Flynn and Russell.

Of course anything could happen. What if Chris Leak has such a great season that he goes to the NFL draft after this season? That would leave the Florida job wide open. The same thing could happen at USC if Leinert enters the draft. RP can choose any school in the country. He holds all the cards because everybody would want him. It wouldn't even surprise me if he went to Georgia since they will be needing a QB after this season. So will Oklahoma. What if Bill Callahan convinces him that he would be the star of the new and improved Nebraska offense? What other perpetual top 5 programs will be needing a new QB for 2005? Oh yeah, Miami has sent a few of their QBs to the NFL.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

With USC he would be up against the Sanchez kid they just got a commitment from.

I also think FSU is still in the running. The Lee kid (last year's big QB pickup) probably won't see any PT unless Rix gets hurt or sucks to high heaven (which is possible). But if not, he could take his chances there. But that would be the equivalent of the LSU situation if neither redshirt freshman see much PT this year.

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Leak will be only 2 years removed from High Scholl so he can't go to the NFL after this season. He's a true soph. I think RP ends up at Texas, he will have his best chance to play early there than at any other big time college except for Ohio State and he's not going up where it's cold. Every other Big program has a star in the class in front of him. UF would be the next best chance since Leak is 2 classes in front of him but he would have absolutely no chance of beating him out and RP probably thinks Leak will stay all 4 years due to the type of guy he is.

4. atxfan

atxfan Founding Member

Oklahoma just lannded the #1 QB prospect in the country this past year. They won't be in need either.