2005 Party Crashers

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Hawker45, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

With all the summer hype going on as to who will make it to the BCS game, we should not forget that going undefeated seems to have some high level of importance… and still may not get you there.
    So, as the usual powerhouses beat up on each other over the course of the season, who has the most legitimate chance of getting through the season unblemished, becoming BCS eligible and causing havoc come bowl selection time.

Here’s my list … ranking from most likely to less than likely:

1) Louisville – one tough game @ WV. The rest is a breeze and they should be ranked in the top ten to start the season. One loss by some of the big boys and they’re home free.
    2) Cal – powder puff schedule… run the table and get by @ fUSC and how can they be denied.
    3) Boise State – yep, blue turf and all. What if they beat @Georgia, @Oregon State and give Bowling Green their only loss… and later Georgia beats UT, Fl or both… stranger things have happened.
    4) Bowling Green – what if Bowling Green wins @Wisconsin, then beats Boise State after BSU wins at Georgia… BCS bound, I’d say.
    5) Purdue – a less likely choice, but they don’t play tOSU or Michigan. The press has picked up on this windfall, but @Arizona, @Penn State, @Wisconsin and home to ND and Iowa may be a little tougher than the press may think.

My guess is at least two of these teams will run the table and, quite frankly, only an undefeated run by one of the “elites” is going to keep Louisville out of the Championship game. Thoughts?

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Louisville will wish they had a tougher schedule if they are in contention in December. If the other contenders are, say, LSU who plays five ranked teams, or USC who plays three; then Louisville will not get the poll votes or the ranking points to be considered.

3. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Boise State is going to get their asses kicked at Georgia.

Boise State is a joke of a team on the road and struggled against the only respectable D last year in Louisville (not even 300 total yards of offense).

Gave up 50 points to San Jose State...40+ to Tulsa?

What a joke....as over-rated as could be

4. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

The Sporting News is fawning all over Boise State and, at least to me, infers the Broncos are going into Athens a beat an over hyped SEC team. The Smuf Turfers gained a great of creedence by knocking the snot out of Oregeron State the week after our game. The Liberty Bowl was just a hint of the speed Georgia has. I think Russell and Shockley will challenge Leake all season as the best QB's in the league.

Georgia opens with blow outs of Boise and South Carolina, then coasts until they place the nail in Tennessee's coffin in early October. I do not see any team (non- purple and gold division) in the SEC hanging with the 'Dawgs.

5. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

I understand where you're coming from here, but personally I don't classify any good and respectable major conference teams as being "party crashers". I mean, it's not like, say, Indiana is going to rise up and go 11-0 (THAT would be crashing the big boy's party!)

Purdue is a very popular choice as a talented, experienced team with a forgiving schedule. To see them run the table wouldn't be a total shock.

Louisville only if they are one of two undefeated teams. The Big East is the softest BCS conference and the Lou doesn't have a non-conf game that'll knock your socks off; in fact, with Kentucky and Oregon State the two biggest, their non-conf sucks ass in a Kansas State sort of way.

Boise St. would be a lock for getting a BCS bid as a mid-major if they beat Georgia at Georgia and run the table, though they'd be pigeon-holed the way Utah was last year, meaning a match with the Big East champ is likely.

Hey, a Boise St-Louisville rematch would be sweet!

6. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Gotta give it up to Dan Hawkins and the Broncos, but they've bitten off more than they can chew here. Opening on the road against a top 25 SEC club with SEC talent. In September's heat. And you're from Boise, Idaho?

I say 52-31 Georgia.

7. MarineTiger

I don't see anyway, BSU scores 31 or for that matter UGA scoring 52.

I would say 34-13 UGA

8. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Later in the season this game would be no problem for Georgia, but it's a tough opener given Boise has basically it's whole offense back. Georgia will be preparing for a season, Boise will be preparing for a game. I see it very close.

9. MarineTiger

Georgia will be preparing for a season? What the hell kind of blanket statement is that?

Boise State's defense is a joke. Defense wins games. You don't give up 50 points to San Jose State or 40+ to Tulsa and expect to win against upper SEC teams.

10. col reb

col reb Founding Member