2006 LSU Tigers Returning Starters

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDeek, Jun 6, 2005.

1. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

Yeah I think it is Forrer, if he is the kid from Florida.

Yes, out recruits will be zapped by the draft, which will include Wall and Jones.

2. jjtsaints

jjtsaints Founding Member

what about P Sean West from Captain Shreve? where did he commit? i think he is going to get drafted high

does anybody have a list of signees?

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I've been following that Texada kid from Catholic High (New Iberia) since he played coach pitch against my son's team. He's a good one but I think Wells got to him.

4. Ryan

Ryan Founding Member

I don't want to sound too harsh on some of the exiting players, but if we're to hold an LSU standard to these players, the only 2 who are true losses are Patterson and Determann. I liked Harris, Gill, and Stavinoha, but when it came down to it, they couldn't perform like their predecessors. Like I said, I don't want to sound too harsh, but as an LSU Baseball fan, you are expected to dominate, ESPECIALLY if you are as highly touted as those 3 were. When they came in, we expected GREAT things from these guys. I expected Harris to fill Hawpe's shoes in the line-up, I expected Gill to develop into a mini-Fontenot, and Stavinoha was going to be the thumper that Cresse and guys like Nathan Dunn and Brandon Larson were. None of that ever happened, though they all went on to have well above average college careers. I know it's being spoiled and it's hanging alot of expectations on these guys, but these are the expectations of a perennial Nat'l Champion contender.

As for Mestepey, he will go down as a great Tiger, but not a great Tiger in '05. It'll be kinda weird not seeing him in the dugout next year.

And those expectations are now on Mayer/Hollander/Jackson.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

he might be in the dugout as a coach.

you may wanna rethink Stavinoha's assessment. this guy often single handedly carried this team's hitting the last month or two of the season when patterson slumped. the homers aren't the same as larsons because of the bats but he has more power and is a much better player. he was a stellar right fielder and will play in the bigs.

nick was all he was supposed to be and more.

gill was awesome til the shoulder injury.

harris was solid.

6. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

Hopefully Will and Quinn will rebound next year and live up to there potential as power hitters.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yeah if power =10 homers.

mayer is about the only one who has true power.

hope we get a crop of JC's. I don't like the word "rebuilding".

8. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

JP Pardon has serious power potential. He has the ability to crank 20 in a season. Just don't expect it next year.

9. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

That new Shortstop we got Ogata has some pop in his bat and some of the other freshman and RSFR may have some power. We haven't seen these guys so who knows. I'd say the outfield except for Sprowl in CF will be up for grabs.

10. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

I said it yesterday that Turtle better have a GREAT backup plan because he does this crap every year, recruits the top players in the country and everyone raves about it - then those players get drafted, sign a contract and never sniff Alex Box Stadium. It does nothing for LSU when you sign these kids who you know will never step in the batter's box or take the hill of Alex Box. Then you're left to pick over the scraps and leftovers. Well here's Turtle's great contingency plan as quoted in today's Advocate :

"All you can do is get back on the road and try to find somebody who maybe is a late developer or try to find a transfer," he said. "There might be a guy out there who signed with a junior college but is ready for a higher level."

Now there's a contingency plan to build a program around! :nope:
    Carl Dubois' column in the Advocate today says exactly what I've been saying about the status of LSU baseball right now. Here's some excerpts that I absolutely agree with:

That said, Laval and Athletic Director Skip Bertman have much to ponder this summer.

LSU needs to reevaluate its recruiting plan. Having the No. 1 signing class in the country means nothing if you lose a handful of A-level players to the draft every year.

LSU needs to figure out why it tied for ninth in the Southeastern Conference in number of players drafted last year, and why so many players from other SEC schools were chosen earlier than LSU players Tuesday.

The Tigers had one player drafted in the first five rounds. Ole Miss had five.

LSU needs to look at its pitching philosophy. Some teams figured out LSU's tendencies and pitch sequences and knew when to expect the right pitch to drive.

Laval needs to figure out why some pitchers haven't improved, and why some got worse. He needs to look at how many pitchers LSU signs with arm or shoulder problems and ask himself if they are worth the risk. Laval needs to solve the puzzle of why so few players in the last two recruiting classes made significant contributions this year, and why Rice could win a super regional at Alex Box Stadium with so many freshmen playing key roles.