2006 LSU Tigers Returning Starters

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDeek, Jun 6, 2005.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Nice segue there. A smooth transition from bitching about this season to bitching about next season. That shows some real talent.

2. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

What is your response to the points raised by the author of the article written in the newspaper?

The author raises some serious questions that an elite college baseball program would be able to fully and coherently address. Don't you agree?

3. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

That's because he is the master of ad hominem attacks. He isn't capable of meaningful counter analysis, just mindless, idealogical bashing of other people who have honest criticism. It reminds me of the story about how someone says the king has no clothes and someone debates it when he really doesn't have any clothes on.

4. SabanFan

No. It's premature.

Too many people on here do nothing but complain and I'm going to call them on it. If you don't like it, use your ignore function.

5. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

Your not calling me out on anything SF. I've been very vocal on my criticism of Turtle and his recruiting and the state of the current LSU baseball program. On top of that, I gave you exact quotes from a coach that no one wants to hire and Smoke can't get rid of. And I gave you observations from someone who is with the LSU baseball team day in and day out, so obviously it's not premature.

6. SabanFan

It's premature in the sense that it's too early to begin writing off next season (and the whole program for that matter). Some people seem ready to throw in the towel before the 1st practice of the fall. We have talent. Some may be ready to step up and show what they can do. Just because we didn't get out of the Regional this year doesn't mean the program is in the crapper. I am very confident about our chances for a successful baseball season in 2006. If you want to take the attitude that the sky is falling then dig a damn hole and get in it.

7. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

Wrong! The criticism was NOT a premature look at 2006, it's retrospective on this past season and things that have happened since 2001. You might want to reread the excerpts from Carl Dubois' article again and you'll see that they were observations based on things in the past. The signing class thing is something that has continuously happened since Turtle has been at LSU, not just something that happened this week. Turtle is famous for signing these kids then losing them in the draft and having no good contingency plan, which is obvious by the lack of top draft picks that have come out of LSU.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

while this seems a logical argument, its also flawed. on one hand people bitch LSU's talent is lacking yet cry we need to recruit 2nd tier players.

Bottom line is you can't predict the draft outside of the 1st round, if that. You do not make a list and decide to go for slightly above average players and expect the success demanded.

9. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

Hanagriff had a good explanation about baseball recruiting and the draft this morning. Recruiting baseball is probably the hardest out of the 3 sports because you recruit these kids their junior year who you know have a boat load of potential and have not reached their full development.

His prime example was the pitcher Wall from Central who went in the 2nd round. His junior year, he was real skinny and wasn't even top 10 material. But, in the ~9 months between sgning day in November and June, Wall had a monster senior year and blew everybody away and the rest is history.
    But then you have guys like Clay Dirks who Turtle thought LSU ahd no chance to get on campus and he injures his elbow his senior year and it scares teams away.

The bottom line is you never know what these kids are going to do between their junior and senior years, so you have to play both sides of the field and recruit top and 2nd tier players and hope for the best. Players like Ogata and Bogany are top players but fall for some reason (signability, team budgets, etc.).

The main thing is you have to hope for the one player like Aaron Hill or Jon Zeringue that you can catch and ride to a championship with the players you develop on campus.

10. SabanFan

Widen your scope and look outside the LSU program. Just about every kid drafted in the first 3 or 4 rounds had commited to some college program but will sign a major league contract. 4 of them happen to be LSU signees. This is not a phenomenon experienced only by LSU. In fact, it's not even a phenomenon. It's part of the college game. What would you do? Recruit players who have no MLB potential? Tell a player who wants to commit "sorry, you're too good?" And they do have a "good contingency plan". It's called continue to recruit. What do you want Turtle to do. Hide them in his closet until the draft is over? Just because we don't win it all doesn't mean something is wrong. Stability in a program is far more valuable than firing coaches until you get the right ones. These coaches have proven their worth.