2008-09 NFL Playoffs

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by DownOnTheBayou, Dec 28, 2008.

1. clair

clair Rockets

I don't mind the 11-5 and 8-8 thing as much as I mind the home game thing.

In every, single sport, the 11-5 or 8-8 thing could happen.

In baseball, it happens every year. In basketball, it could happen, too if the cards were played out right, although it's less likely because so many teams make the playoffs. That's just what happens when you give weight to divisions.

I don't like divisions at all, but the leagues like them because they build regional rivalries.

But the team with the worse record hosting to me is stupid. The NBA fixed that problem a few years back. I hope the NFL gets around to it, too.

In the meantime, let's wait for our esteemed commish to fix the Pro Bowl, though.

2. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I think both are travesties.
    And one of the reasons I'm strongly opposed to a playoff in college football.

except college football

3. clair

clair Rockets

interesting that you give so much weight to this problem that you wouldn't even want a playoff in CFB, where in any given year 7-8 teams might be screwed over.

I'm not trying to give you the third degree or anything, I just think it's interesting to hear other perspectives.

So you like the BCS?

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

that is only part of the problem I have with the NFL (or any other) playoff system.

Seriously, I truly think leaving the #3 team out of a 2 team playoff is nowhere near as bad as leaving out a top 4/5 team from a 12 team playoff system.

I don't think the BCS is perfect, not by any stretch.
    I do think it is a LOT better than the old system.

And I also think a playoff would ruin the National appeal of the College game. There is a reason the vast majority of NFL games are broadcast regionally instead of Nationally.

A playoff would cause teams to lean away from scheduling big time OOC opponents (more so than they already do now). No reason for Ohio St. to schedule USC. Win the Big Ten and you're in the playoffs. So they will now schedule Kent St., and all the directional Michigan schools.

Then you can kiss the bowls good bye. Fans can't afford to travel to multiple neutral sites in a span of just a couple of weeks. So these games are going to have to be home games now just to be able to sell tickets (Which also means good-bye hotel and restaurant money).

Then comes the invitees.
    Good luck getting a system that doesn't automatically include conference champs. So, it is either so watered down with so many teams the regular season becomes pointless (like the NBA) or 11-1 Alabama and Texas gets left ou in favor of 8-4 Virginia Tech and possibly Utah or Boise (like the NFL or MLB).

A plus 1 won't work either.
    The top 9 teams have 1 or fewer losses. Good luck narrowing that down to only 4. Last year was even worse, 9 of the top 12 all had basically the same record. '06 = 2 unbeatens, and 5 1 loss teams. etc. etc.

5. clair

clair Rockets

preaching to the choir. I don't mind the BCS.

I think almost every year (including the year Auburn went unbeaten), the 2 best teams were chosen.

That includes 2003, when USC got left out.

My problem is that with 4 teams, someone legit will still get screwed and the small schools are still excluded.

And with 8 schools, the regular season might take a hit late in the season.

So I don't completely mind it the way it is. I do think that the 3-4 game stretch of the playoffs would be some amazing football, though.

I'm not so sure the scheduling takes a major hit, though like you say.

I think schools would be MORE likely to schedule the big teams, because:

1. it gets them "tournament tested"
    2. there is no consequences if you lose (b/c you can still win your league)

I think it'd be a little like college basketball in that the top teams would all want to play one another to get as ready as possible and if they lose, then eff it, they can still win their league.

6. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

I thought you expected a one and done? :huh:

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I didn't expect it, but I certainly was concerned with the matchup with Baltimore.

I thought Flacco would be more rattled into mistakes, but that dude is a cool customer.

8. DownOnTheBayou

yeah he impressed me today.

not easy to go to Tennessee and win.

he's a gamer.

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

211 yards to about 390?
    9 first downs to 23?
    25/35 TOP split?

ouch

It's not like Tennessee didn't play their game. They did a whole lot better than I thought they would offensively.

I would be suicidal if I was a Titans fan.

That was a brutal loss.

10. DownOnTheBayou

after watching Bulluck in the tunnel after the game, he might go OJ on somebody tonight. :shock: