2010 Regular Season In Review

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by QBLuke, Nov 27, 2010.

1. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Just because we won't play another game for a month, and I have a bitter taste in my mouth with that last one, I'm gonna go ahead and hand out some awards.

Special Teams Player of the Year- Josh Jasper

What more can you say about this guy? Virtually automatic from 45+, can hit it comfortably from 50+, and even has 45 rushing yards on three carries. Josh Jasper is the rare kicker who can be considered a weapon on offense.

OL of the Year - Joseph Barksdale

DL of the Year- Drake Nevis

Offensive Newcomer of the Year- Michael Ford

After sitting in the garage for 4 games, we finally got to see what the F450 could do, and he didn't disappoint. In 8 games played, MFF piled up 235 yards on 38 carries (5.8 ypc). He also had 30 receiving yards and four total TDs. His numbers could be even more impressive with a bit more luck. In the final two regular season games, he had about 60 yards shaved off his totals due to penalties or replay review. Who knows what the future holds for the F450 in a crowded LSU backfield, but I'm going to bet his combination of speed and strength keeps him at the top of the rotation.

Defensive Newcomer of the Year-Tyrann Mathieu

Built like a corner, plays like a safety, and is pound-for-pound the toughest player on the LSU defense. Known as the "Tyrannasaurus", Mathieu has a knack for creating turnovers and causing mayhem. On the season, the true freshman finished with 2.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles and 2 fumble recoveries.

Offensive MVP- Stevan Ridley

Who else? Finished the year 1,040 rushing yards and 14 TDs. Many times, he gained yardage purely on effort. Sometimes saddled by poor QB and predictable playcalling, he manage to fall forward every time. He scraped out a nice 4.6 average thanks to his relentless running style. Will likely enter 2011 as a preseason All-SEC selection and a dark horse Heisman contender.

Defensive MVP- Kelvin Sheppard

This is impossible to call, because there was so much leadership and outstanding individual play in the defense this year. With respect to Patrick Peterson and Drake Nevis, Kelvin was the glue that held the unit together. How we stole that guy away from under Mark Richt's nose, I'll never know. Enjoy life in the NFL, Shepp', it's been fun watching you man the middle.

Team MVP- Patrick Peterson

Return yards. Interceptions. Leadership. Big plays. Momentum swinging plays. I WILL NOT LET US LOSE THIS GAME type of plays.

There's not much else you can say about Patrick Peterson that hasn't already been said. He's an amazing player who made our defense, offense and special teams better simultaneously. He's the rising tide that lifts your entire football team when it's struggling. He's more than just a cornerback. He's what it means to be an LSU football player. I selfishly hope he comes back for one more year and realistically wish him all the best as he moves on to the pros. He's gonna make some team very happy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCOLpiFxgbM"]YouTube - The Amazing Patrick Peterson[/ame]

_______

Game of the Year: LSU 24, Alabama 21, or "The Chew Grass Miracle"

[​IMG]
    "Have a great day!"

Game of the Year 2: The other 11

Play of the Year: River Left, Alabama

You know what play I'm talking about, the tight end reverse to DeAngelo Peterson which set up the go ahead touchdown and propelled us to the monumental win.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yfqJrQG6io&feature=related"]YouTube - (HD) Les Miles 4th and 1 call vs. Alabama and following TD (11.6.10)[/ame]

Play of the Year 2: Follow the bouncing ball, Florida

[​IMG]
    Quintessential play of the Lesticles Era.​

Play of the Year 3: Patrick Peterson's Punt Return vs. North Carolina
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLpY5ASjo48]YouTube - Patrick Peterson 86 Yard Punt Return TD[/ame]

That's all I got ...

3 people like this.
  2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Nicely done.

3. paducahmichael

paducahmichael Tiger Band Class of '73

Indeed, nicely done - and I agree with your awards, too.

4. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

Nice review.

Let's be honest with ourselves.

We won 10 games with:

#1 A mediocre QB
    #2 An offensive line that was just a tad above average
    #3 Gary Crowton as OC
    #4 A very, very young team.

This team may have actually over-achieved a little bit.

5. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Bumping ... added a bonus PP7 highlight video.

6. Cordelia

Cordelia Founding Member

I like what you've done here. Yesterday was brutal but your post is a good reminder of how much fun this year has been too. Thanks and Happy Holidays to everybody. Geaux Tigers!

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I agree with everything except the player of the year. I don't think Peterson was the player of the year. He was great on special teams, and he was good on D, but nothing close to what was expected of him on defense. He was horrible in run support.

To be honest, I really don't know who the overall MVP would be, but I just can't get behind Peterson when his defensive play was not nearly as good as it should have been. And I think if you ask him that, he would tell you the same.

8. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Nicely done. I think you were as fair as one could be, and gave the best credit where it was and is due.:thumb:

9. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

I have to admit, I got chills when Verne said "Touchdown Louisiana State University".

How Tiger fans can't like him is beyond me.

Overall, a GREAT thread. Even with two losses, this season had some great times. We could focus in on the negative, we could say how we're lucky to have as many wins as we do; But at this point it doesn't really matter. We have a better record than St. Nick, who actually had a competent QB.

At the end of the day, I think all tiger fans should be PROUD of the TEAM. Whether we agree with all of the decisions made, whether we would have done things different, there's one thing that's for sure. Our guys played their hearts out.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I'm sure he is a great guy, but I actually like my commentators to get names and facts right.