2011 DT Mickey Johnson COMMITTED TO LSU

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by Bayou Bengal11, Jan 28, 2011.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

This isn't directed at you Fish...

There is moderation but there isn't going to be moderation for the sake of it. No one really got off topic and arbitrary rankings get arbitrary answers and logic. Agreements won't come easy in that situation. As long as there are no insults we can carry on.

2. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

No offense to you BHelm, as I know you're one of the few mods here, and you're quite busy lately with NSD and what not.

But to say it didn't get off topic is just not true. There's an entire wasted page going back and forth pertaining to nothing. It started off pretty innocent and fairly ON topic, but someone apparently has a personal issue with a former mod and got all touchy. Doesn't matter though, it's just part of the new Tigerfan. I've taken part in plenty of it myself...doesn't mean it isn't ridiculous and off topic.

3. bhelmLSU

There was only one post that didn't have anything discussing height, rankings, examples of others players who weren't rated where they deserved to be, etc... Well minus our discussion here.:grin: That post was deleted.

Some of the post went from discussing MJ to off topic but this board is not going to moderate every sentence. Our goal is to let the board members feel free to discuss what they want without much interference. Something that was discussed at length many times before on this board in the past and the members felt that was the best way to do things.

I can only speak for myself but I will only step in if insults are getting out of hand and if topics are extremely derailed. If derailed, I will post a reminder to stay on topic.

I think most prefer that...

4. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Well then, since it's OK to be trivial and argue for the sake of arguing, I'll point this out.

You didn't mention anything about star ratings when you said

...which is what started all this crap.

You didn't quote anyone's post, so how in the world was anyone to know you had changed the topic to "How 5 star players are evaluated, in relation to height"??

Learn to use the quote feature, and maybe things won't be as "confusing".

Oh, and MJ seems similar to Lavalais, even Dorsey in build. NOT SAYING THAT MAKES HIM A 5 STAR....just saying his height shouldn't hold him back.

5. bhelmLSU

That's the spirit...:hihi:

I will add that MJ even admitted that his coaches even warned him that he would have to take on a new role this year given that every team would double and triple team him this year. He had to be a run plugger and let the rest of the d-line get free. That hurt his stats some but exactly what most want out of a DT.

Some evaluators see this on the local level and rank him higher. Then those rankings get passed on the regional manager of say Scout or Rivals and he may prefer a handful of other DTs who he may know more about or not, and then the regional guy passes it on to the national manager who might have another handful of guys he likes better at DT.

This is just the rankings game. Each evaluator has different reasonings and weight attributes differently.

MJ was unselfish and excelled in being the backbone of the defense.

6. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

well, if you are gonna bring weight into it....... :hihi:

7. geauxtigers45

geauxtigers45 Founding Member

my bad mlu, I thought you meant he wouldn't be succesful because in your opinion he doesn't have the height. Totally misread what you were saying. and yes I agree, the only reason he doesn't get the 5 star is because of his height

8. bhelmLSU

I wouldn't say that.

Rivals even lists him at 6'1. Do you know how many 5* DTs are in the 2011 Class?

A grand total of 1 and that is Freak.

Scout also lists him at 6'1 and they had a 6'1 5* DT.

9. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I know one thing...I live in Covington, and when I see him again, in person...

I am NOT gonna call him shorty !! :hihi:

10. rockwallfan

rockwallfan Founding Member

"You can't measure the size of a man's heart!!!" How many times have we heard that when someones measurables didn't meet the ideal. the guys obviously strong as an ox, has great potential and was highly recruited. if he has the heart of a champion i, for one, will happily live with any "non-ideals"...for any of our players!
    to bring it a little further, some of these 5* players will see very little of the field because they don't have the heart of a champion.

1 person likes this.