2011 JUCO P Dalton Botts COMMITTED TO LSU

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by bhelmLSU, Jul 25, 2010.

1. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

Re: 2011 JUCO P Dalton Botts Commits

Very impressive in the video I saw.
    :thumb:

2. Bigk77

Bigk77 Freshman

Like i said, he's come a loooong way since that video was made.

3. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

USC actually did offer, and he turned down USC...

there was one other major university vying for his talent – USC.
    Botts visited with new Trojan boss Lane Kiffen last week – the same day the university announced a shakeup by replacing athletic director Mike Garrett ...and stripping away all evidence that Reggie Bush and O.J. Mayo – the two players who put SC in the NCAA crosshairs – were ever there.
    “It was pretty crazy down there,” he said.
    Botts said USC offered him a scholarship, but the sanctions levied on the Trojan football program are troublesome.
    “For me, the part that sucks is not being able to go to a bowl game,” he said.

Botts' punting gets him full ride to LSU - Taft, CA - Taft Midway Driller

4. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Some interesting info regarding Bott's recruitment:

During spring drills at Moorpark, Botts decided to attend a camp for punters since he also would be handling those chores for the Raiders.
    That led to a competition in Las Vegas where he had the longest punt and the best hang time, an accomplishment that earned him a No. 1 national ranking by kicking guru Chris Sailer, who runs instructional camps and has a highly respected rating/recruiting service.
    Botts said he is convinced Sailer’s No. 1 ranking opened the doors to big time college football.
    “That was big. He is well respected and is known all over the nation.”
    The only prospect Sailer would recommend to LSU punting coach Joe Robinson was Botts.
    “They called Sailer and told him they wanted a punter with some experience, a JC transfer, someone who already knew what it was about,” he said.

Botts and his parents – Travis and Andrea – spent the weekend in Baton Rouge, and before they headed back to Taft a deal was struck.
    “Coach (Les) Miles told me I’d be a perfect fit for their program, and asked me if I wanted to be a part it,” Botts said early Monday from his apartment in Moorpark. “I said, ‘yes sir, I want to be an LSU Tiger.’” ... He said after dessert at the Miles home Saturday night, he played basketball in the back yard with his team host – senior punter Derek Helton – and Miles’ 14-year-old son.
    Although he’ll be heading for Baton Rouge as Helton’s replacement, Miles is already designing a few special plays to take advantage of Botts’ running and passing abilities.
    “He has something planned for me. They are very big on special teams. They want a punter who can handle the ball, run and throw. They’re planning to develop some trick plays around me.”

Botts' punting gets him full ride to LSU - Taft, CA - Taft Midway Driller

5. tigerfan1974

tigerfan1974 Veteran Member

Does LSU take both if Wing is cleared?

6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I would assume so since the staff offered him knowing that Wing could still be cleared and there are some reports going around that Wing has been cleared. Looking into more details and confirmation right now.

7. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

8. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Botts as punter, Wing as punter too? Or does one of them take FGs and kickoffs too?

9. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Both have experience with Kickoffs but are not kickers. We will take a kicker next class.