2011 NFL Draft and Offseason

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by pjnchamps, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Herb

Herb Founding Member

I'd like to see us pick Marvin Austin (UNC) if he's available when we pick.

2. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

I don't know. Why go with a young, immature guy who did not play his SR year because of poor decision making when you have other options? Don't see the Saints picking him for those reasons alone, but that could change given they don't pick until #24.

3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I haven't read every post in this thread, so this may have already been mentioned, but how about the SEC dominating the top 10?

Also, how the phuck did ATL get the number 6 pick? I obviously wasn't paying attention to something. Julio is a significant pick up for them.

Lastly, Mark Ingram looked out of shape to me. Then again, I was watching on the smaller TV in my office, so maybe I'm wrong. Sure hope so.

4. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

ATL basically did a Ditka and traded Arthur Blank's grandchildren to move up.

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Was that crazy or what? I like Julio but damn.

6. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Hey, if that's their only pick of the draft, then that works for me. Julio may be good, but I doubt he's the missing piece to the puzzle.

7. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

Excerpt I found on Johnny Patrick from Louisville before the draft

8. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

Confused on the last pick...there were better options available...guess they wanted two players from the same team like Wake Forest Draft couple of years ago

9. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

i think we got a steal with OLB Nate Massey. we needed an OLB, Massey was projected as high as the 6th Round, and we got him in the 7th. yeah, he's small (228 lbs), but he's the same size as 6th-Round pick OLB Lawrence Wilson (229 lbs), 6th-Round pick OLB Brian Rolle (229 lbs), and just a few pounds lighter than 5th-Round pick OLB Doug Hogue (235 lbs).

as for speed, he ran a blazing 4.47 forty at his Pro Day, a forty time which was only beaten by three LBs at the combine (Martez Wilson, Von Miller, and Dontay Moch). No DE or DT had a faster time.

as for production, this is what he did in 2010: 1 sack (against Ohio State), 8.5 TFL (3rd on team), 83 tackles (2nd on team), 2 passes broken up, 1 punt block, 1 INT (returned 16 yards for a TD against Penn State), and 3 fumble recoveries (most in Big Ten)

as for intangibles, he gets an A+, as detailed in this article that raves about him, concluding that any team that takes him "should giggle with glee, as they select this unsung steal of the draft, as no player has this combination of maturity, work ethic and dedication"
    http://draftbreakdown.com/nate-bussey-mr-versatility

as for what Sean Payton said about him in the post-draft press conference, he said we took him to play weakside LB, but there is no telling if he'll be ready to go right off the bat like Colston was when we took him in the 7th Round. he said he does expect Massey "to come in and contribute right away as a core special team player." he also said when they were watching film of him, they loved how, with Massey, "you see the run and hit, you see the physical attitude"

[​IMG]
    Blaine Gabbert, meet Mr. Nate Massey

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I think the Illinois back is going to be the best running back out of this class, and I am pissed they didn't try and pick up Casey Matthews with the last pick of the 3rd round.