2011 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Cajun Sensation, Apr 28, 2011.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Maybe I'm spoiled by our recent success of having our top guys always drafted highly but confused by Nevis & Sheppard being projected for later rounds.

With Nevis, he's got the size and athleticism at a position of high demand/short supply. Everyone on LSU's staff raved about his leadership and intangibles. He's a DT that can also get pressure on the QB. I keep seeing 3rd or 4th round projections but what is keeping him from late 1st or 2nd?

With Sheppard, Chavis called him the smartest player he'd ever coached. He's played all the LB positions well and faced top level offenses with much success. Doesn't the NFL now allow a defensive player to have a headset in their helmet to counter the QB's headset? I would think Sheppard would be the perfect guy to be given the responsibility of calling plays for his D. I've seen 5th rd or so for him but think it should be closer to 3rd.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The combine according to NFLDraftScout.com

3. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Where do ya'll think Joe Barksdale will be drafted?

4. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

But when they're not duking it out with the Failcons, they're strengthening their standing in the division if they're beating that opponent.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

mel's board:

1 Carolina Panthers

Record: 2-14
    * Cam Newton, QB, Auburn

Is he the top player on my Big Board? No. But it's hard to blame a franchise in Carolina's position for falling in love with the extremely high ceiling of Newton. As I said when I projected him here before, there are immediate needs, and there is a decision that you believe will change the direction of your franchise for years to come. While I'm not certain Carolina isn't still listening for the right offer for this pick -- if you've heard me at all lately, you'll know I see this is one of the more unpredictable top 10's I can ever remember -- if the Panthers really see Newton as a transformative player who can be both a Pro Bowl quarterback and face of the franchise who draws a lot of buzz, they make this pick. If talent alone was all they were concerned with, Newton would be an easy choice. But this pick also requires a belief in his development and maturity. Will the Panthers have the patience to let him develop on the bench?

5 Arizona Cardinals

Record: 5-11
    * Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

This is a spot where I'll stamp a big "TRADE POSSIBILITY" tag on my notes as the picks start to come off the board. But if the Cardinals don't make a move for a pick that could turn into Kolb or some other veteran quarterback, Peterson is the guy they should take. He's the best overall talent in the draft, the No. 1 player on my Big Board and, even if he's not dealt, well, is it so bad to have the best player in the draft all the way down at No. 5?

24 New Orleans Saints

Record: 11-5
    * Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson

Like Amukamara falling to No. 20, I have reservations seeing Bowers this far down the board, but it's a numbers game. I also think that while I'm pretty confident in his future given what I know of his medical reports, any injury chatter will scare off a few teams. What you have in a healthy Bowers, however, is a truly gifted pass-rusher, the kind of guy who is scheme-versatile and has big-time athleticism to go with an arsenal of moves. The Saints need help in the pass rush. If Bowers lands here, they should be thrilled.

6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I have a hard time seeing Bowers fall that far, although it would be nice.

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I'd love to see the Cowboys jump up and take Peterson. They desperately need good db's, and it would be cool to see him play in Dallas (well...Arlington).

8. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

NOT! Can't stand the cowgirls. There are enough LSU guys there and I hate that. Screw the cowgirls and their owner.

9. tirk

well that knee injury or two he has may scare many off but i agree. he was awesome the few times i saw him play. disruptive force the saints could use. and i heard him on mike and mike a month or so ago. hes a pretty sharp dude.
    he will be gone.

Overall Football Traits
    Production 2

2008: (13/6) 47 tackles, 8 TFL, 1 sack.2009: (12/11) 58 tackles, 11 TFL, 3 sacks.2010: (13/13) 74 tackles, 26 TFL, 15.5 sacks.

Height-Weight-Speed 1 Tall and extremely well-built for a college DE. Lacks elite top-end speed but still very fast for his size.

Durability 5 Missed two games due to a knee injury (MCL and PCL strain) in 2009. Also underwent arthroscopic knee surgery following the 2010 season and could not workout at NFL combine as a result. Appeared to still be favoring the knee during his April 1 workout for NFL scouts, which has only added to his long-term durability concerns. Some believe knee will eventually require microfracture surgery.

Intangibles 2 Matured during final year at Clemson. Dealt with tragedy off the field in 2010 with the deaths of his father, Dennis Bowers, and good friend Gaines Adams. Re-committed to his conditioning and lost 25 pounds during off-season prior to 2010. Much better worker now than earlier in his college career. No off-the-field issues to our knowledge.
    1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal
    Defensive End Specific Traits

Pass Rush Skills 1 Very good initial burst for size. Shows ability to transfer quickness to power. Very good upper-body strength. Flashes effective swim and rip moves. Not an elite athlete and lacks elite top-end speed. Also shows some stiffness in hips when bending the edge. But possesses outstanding combination of power, quickness and agility for size. Also has excellent closing burst to the quarterback. Has proven to be extremely effective when occasionally used as an inside pass rusher. Has long arms and gets hands up in passing lanes.

Versus the run 1 Is big and strong. Has a tendency to play a bit high at times and can be a quarter-count late finding the ball. But few DEs coming out of college show his ability to anchor the edge. Surprisingly powerful when he stays low. Has a strong upper body and can quickly disengage when using good technique. Doesn't always wrap up as a tackler but he can be an explosive hitter. Will jar ball loose on occasion.

Versatility 1 Excellent versatility for his size. Has experience playing right and left end. Is best-suited to play power end in a 4-3 but is very effective when moved inside, particularly rushing the passer as a 3-technique. Might also be able to fit as a 5-technique in a 3-4.

Instincts/Motor 2 Instincts and awareness continue to improve with experience. Can be late at times diagnosing run/pass or finding the ball carrier, but has made strides in this area. Doing a better job of using long, strong arms to lock on to OT and maintain gap discipline while locating the ball. Motor was much better in 2010 than in previous two seasons. Took far fewer plays off and made a lot more effort plays.

10. tirk

petersons going to be a bust anyhow due to cramps/injuries.

too many can't miss labels have guaranteed that.