2011 QB Dak Prescott

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by bhelmLSU, Nov 30, 2010.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

The 3* out of Haughton was offered by LSU today after a visit from Les. Currently committed to Miss St and is an early enrollee so we will know if a change is coming very soon.

Had an impressive year and his stock has soared.

6'3

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT1gyLQTNSQ]YouTube - Haughton Football - Dak Prescott[/ame]

2. bhelmLSU

If Dak decides to jump on board, we would have to wait and see if the Rivers greyshirt offer would hold up. I think there is a very good chance that Rivers will take it but anything can happen.

This doesn't change anything with Mettenberger.

Would rule out the waiting and hoping that Bridgewater would make a switch. Staff likely doesn't feel comfortable holding out until NSD.

3. dudley

dudley oops!

I'm a little behind but are you saying they offered Rivers a scholarship and are now backing out and offering or would now offer him a grayshirt in favor of Prescott?

4. bhelmLSU

From what I have been hearing, LSU could offer Rivers a greyshirt if we get commits from 2 other QBs (Mett and Dak). Don't have the numbers this class to fit 3 in. I am not positive if they have talked to him about this option yet but some believe LSU has and he would be willing to take a greyshirt if we needed to go that route.

This would give LSU 2 QBs who could enroll in January and still have Rivers coming in to secure our depth in 2012.

LSU has offered Dak so we would take the commitment at anytime.

5. bhelmLSU

BTW, rumors going around that Dan Mullen is being targeted by Miami and he will interview.

6. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

That's funny I just asked you about him...Im glad he got an offer

7. dudley

dudley oops!

Seems like CLM would have learned his lesson on this.

I would be very disappointed if we lost Rivers, who I think has more upside than Prescott or anyone else being mentioned.

Just My Opinion though. You go Coach Miles, but my opinion on his QB recruiting skills is a little shaky at the moment.

8. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

Not saying this is the case with you, but a lot of people judge upside of a star QB's sibling on pedigree, when that's not an accurate descriptor. Sometimes, the other brother takes all the good stuff, lol. That's not to say Rivers doesn't have the upside or plenty of the good stuff his brother clearly has, but there would be a lot of pissed homers if Dak goes away and becomes a star, while Rivers stays with the trend of brother QB not being quite as great---Matt Hasselbeck is known as a perennial starter...maybe not a hall of famer, but he did get screwed out of a Super Bowl victory by the refs and he's been solid for a long time, even making a few pro-bowls. Tim Hasselbeck is known for marrying Elizabeth. LOL

There's more...outside of his criminal transgressions, Michael Vick has been a pretty good QB in the NFL. Several pro-bowls, some huge wins (think Lambeau Field where the Packers had not been beaten in years), and right now is an MVP candidate. Marcus Vick...well, most folks don't even know who he is even though he started at Va. Tech and won the ACC twice as the starter. He makes his brother look saintly.

Hell it's even in the Mannings. Sure, Eli has the same number of Super Bowls has his brother, but Peyton is #1 on most lists, and no lower than #4 on the QB ranking scale (Brees, Brady, Rivers, Manning...Peyton that is...are always top 4). Eli might not even be top 10. I'd take Matt Ryan, Aaron Rogers, and VICK, maybe even Rapelisberger over Eli...and I'd be tempted to consider guys like Josh Freeman and Mark Sanchez the way they've played lately.

Again, I'm not saying Rivers doesn't have IT, but having a couple years to grow will certainly not hurt him. It's not as if he will struggle paying for school if he takes a greyshirt. This is NOT a bad thing for him. Greyshirts are hard for kids with limited financial means and kids with bigger than necessary egos who think they can play right away...neither of which fits Rivers.

I always thought Prescott was a take for being in-state, having a very good arm, and at a 4.7-40, he can move.

9. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

Dak is a big boy and can certainly run, but he is not a drop back pro-style QB. I thought CLM was recruiting toward a pro-style offense.

10. dudley

dudley oops!

Interesting read on Steven.
    College football recruiting: LSU commit Stephen Rivers steps out of big brother's shadow - ESPN

You're right, genetics are funny. I've heard the old folks talk about brothers Jim and Bob. Jim takes after his Grandfather on his Mother's side and Bob takes after his Aunt on his Father's side. Jim likes to work on cars and Bob likes to play with dolls, etc., but I've watched Philip and seen some film on Steven and they walk the same, have exactly the same throwing motion and have the same facial features. They both came from the same tree. Still, like you say, ya can't ever tell, but Philip's success is something you can't completely discount. After all Eli was a pretty good college QB, and there are probably more examples on both sides of the argument.

As far as catching flack for letting the instate player get away, he passed on a guy who wanted to come to LSU, who will probably be playing for the NC, while the instate guy he didn't let get away is still running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage.

Prescott's other offers besides Miss St. are Central Arkansas, Grambling, La. Tech., McNeese, Memphis, North Texas, Northwestern State, S.E La.
    Maybe Miles sees that 'something' no one else sees, but his record at seeing that 'something' in QBs is rather abysmal I would say.

Maybe the River's camp would be perfectly happy with having his son offered a scholarship then have Miles call him up and say, "... fill in the blanks". but I can almost picture Mr. Rivers mouth forming the words 'F--- Y--"!