2012-2013 LSU Men's Basketball General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Nov 26, 2012.

1. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Building a basketball culture at a school that hasn't had one in 20 years isn't gonna happen overnight. Consistent improvement and signature wins will eventually get people interested.

2. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

No talk about the close loss to the Gumps. Good game by JOB, crappy game (shooting) by the guards. That said, only lose by 3 on the roads, where the gump refs were against us. Take heart folks, at 4-6, with SC and Miss St coming up, this next week and a half IMO are key. Get on a little bit of a winning streak here and you may be looking at a .500 SEC conference record with some interesting ball to play at the end of the year here.... Let's Geaux!

Also, as a side comment, let's also just say that WOW what a difference a few recruiting seasons can make. Anthony Grant was hailed as the next big thing in the SEC West, so far while he's won, he's been less than impressive with his recruiting and game schemes. In a year or two, CJJ will be eating his lunch. Enjoy it while you can, 'Bama, in hoops.

stevescookin likes this.
  3. lsudolemite

LSU's shooting par by my expectations. A team like this is going to live and die by the jumper, not a recipe for consistent success, but it's the hand Johnny's been dealt. Having said that, I like the ability to make adjustments at the half that they've shown this season.

4. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Agree with you, but in this particular game, my comment was on the shooting. If you're going to be outrebounded by your opponent, you want to make sure you shoot well, cuz you can't do both poorly. LSU has been shooting above 33% generally on threes and in this game they shot 25% roughly. Make 2 more threes (they took 15 and only made 4, Hickey was 0-4), and LSU wins the game. Granted Alabama shot 11% from three (they've been a horrible 3 point shooting team ever since Grant got there), and LSU made a good number of their free throws (78%), so the line between winning and losing for this team will be any number of a few shots here and there... When JOB is having a good game, it's also the smarts of Stringer and Hickey, and our guards, to find that better shot, as well.

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Forget the win/loss record this season. LSU basketball has been down so long it would take a miracle worker to bring it back to life. JJ has exceded expectations so far and has things going in the right direction. LSU has been irrelevant for so long that it's simply amazing what he has done with recruiting. His latest class is no less impressive than the recent ole myth football signing class. If he continues to have success anywhere close to what he's having now fans will be very very happy. It makes it even more special that he is a former Tiger returned home.

KyleK likes this.
  6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

it just amazes me that for all the bitching about brady and johnson its all praise for cjj. IF you are going to bitch about brady and johnson i dont know why you dont bitch about cjj. he is getting the least out of the most. the roster is supposedly 10 deep and the core of the team has been together for two years now. does it mean that much to you that cjj was a tiger player and coach? that he's from deridder? that the team scores more per game? they look like shit every game.

im encouraged that cjj is a good recruiter and the team plays hard. but, god, could there please be some flow on offense (deja vu?). this team would have a better record with ctj.

7. lsudolemite

I wasn't thrilled with the hire. It stunk of pre-Emmert era BoS cronyism then, and it still does now. But having said that, I think I'll wait a little longer than 2/3 of a season before hauling out the pitchfork.

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

since when have fans given any coach a grace period?

9. lsudolemite

It usually extends to the point that his first full class of recruits actually sets foot on campus. But if you want a revolving door at HBC, be my guest.

10. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I was really impressed with O'Bryant tonight. Even though he was destroying them single hadedly he didn't force anything. If it wasn't there he kicked it out and moved for better position. It was a masterful game by him.