2012-2013 LSU Men's Basketball General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Now that would be reasonable BP. Can't have that

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

No I really only called you out once and you got your panties in a wad. The rest were others tired of your wet blanket insufferable outlook.

3. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

Can't link it from my phone but Hickey just got suspended indefinitely....bigtime blow to this year!

4. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

I know... just saw. http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=205821933

What is the deal with this kid!? I mean it's been several messages sent to him through CJJ. Must've been something pretty serious, but it also sounds like Coach Jones has the ability to re-instate? Some times we forget these kids are 18 19 years old. Regardless, talk about squandering your opportunity...

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

I'm here to learn some things and argue points, I'm not so concerned about hurting tiger fans' feelings and I don't feel the need to write every thought about a game ----especially when others have already stated them. Do you really want to read 20 posts in a thread that all say cjj is a good recruiter and the team played hard?

For thoroughness, about your optimistic points I should have made, 1- don't generally give praise for doing what is expected, 2- I disagree, 3- that wasn't really obvious from this game. And ive said elsewhere he seems to be good recruiter, 4-not really. It was the only option. This doesn't make him a good coach, just not a crappy one. Should we praise him for not being crappy?, 5-yes, true, but I don't want to watch teams that need to press half the game to win.

I'm hoping that this is a stopgap until the team is better. I think I'm right and even posted that I take comfort in the fact that cjj said they didn't practice the press (even given how hard it is to believe).

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

Weren't previous issues about academics? This sounds like weed. Any hope for La to legalize it soon?

7. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

It may be the only way we can keep our teams together! :)

(from someone who lives in Co)

(and "NO" I am not on the stuff) :) Clean and sober!

8. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

The tigers played good last nite. Now for the road trip. Face it guys this whole season is a stopgap till JJ can get some of his recruits on the floor. They are perfect so far this year. I know we are gonna get killed several times this year but when playing us at home I think everybody be ready. LSU is gonna be tough at home. That's gonna be enough for me this year. Give him time. Question - the kid from England that we recruited from a school in Texas, is he still coming in January?

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

TigerTap likes this.
  10. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

So, the fairy tale start to the season ended last night with a loss to Boise State, a 6-2 team, in LSU's first game away from home. Consider it a wake up call, or to some, consider it reality.

Here's the way I look at it. This is a young team who still hasn't developed as a team. Sometimes young teams can surprise you, when they don't know what they don't know. But on the road, experienced teams are needed to win. Just looking at the score may lead you to believe that this was a bad loss, but I'll pin point a few things, which I called out earlier in my threads for the season. First off, if you look at the box score, both teams shot reasonably well, and their shooting percentages were comparable. Even the Tigers' achilles heel, FT shooting was better. However, aggression and rebounding hurt the Tigers. Maybe that can be summed up with this is LSU's first road game fighting against a hostile crowd (an attendance of 11K+ at Boise State sort of puts LSU's fan base to shame) against an underrated team that actually has a few decent players on their team. Their forward, Ryan Watkins, KILLED LSU on the boards, with 17 rebounds, and 10 of them offensive. In a season so far when LSU has generally outhustled and outrebounded their competition, in this game, JOB was neutralized (only 5 boards), and the team was outrebounded 44 to 27. While LSU shot 72% for the game from the FT line, they shot only 11 FTs to Boise State's 31 FTs. Call that the home town cooking, or call it the home team being more aggressive and the visiting team being on its heels.

Some highlights. With Hickey having a minor role (only 13 minutes) due to his suspension, we saw a bright spot in Corban Collins (19 points on 5 3s), but he had only 1 asst. We saw Stringer struggle with his shot and O'Bryant unable to control the paint. No herculean effort from Shavon Coleman, and an off game by Carmouche and LSU didn't get it done.

For those of us that said defense and rebounding were going to be key this year, this is a good example. LSU will have to continue to outhustle and surprise folks, and shoot well. In a game where they were not the aggressor, they were exposed. I'll be waiting to see how they handle UCI as the next game. It's a learning experience and one where they will need to grow and develop that fight back character. Let's geaux, Tigers.

ROY_LA_CA likes this.