2012-2013 LSU Men's Basketball General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Nov 26, 2012.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I know there will be at least 4 people here. For the first time in 5 years I found three other people who weren't my wife and kids that wanted to go to the game.

Tiger in NC likes this.
  2. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

Hopefully the PMAC power grid can handle all 4 of you.

stevescookin likes this.
  3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

We must have defeated a ranked SEC team in 09. I'm damn near sure statw was ranked one of the two times we beat them and maybe UTK.

4. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

C'Mon, let's not be silly... LSU beat Miss St in overtime, when they were ranked (#23), last year. That should have been clear when the tape of Hickey's last shot this past weekend was eerily similar to last year's shot. PMAC was about 64% full for that game (paid attendance of 8565). Let's not make it out to be worse than it was. Our teams have had up and down seasons for sure, but the fans have to own their lackluster support. We had only a few more (i.e., 8630) in PMAC when LSU beat #10 ranked Marquette earlier that season.

Hopefully these next few weeks exceeds these very modest targets. I do see a ton of student promotions being run, and folks like sponsors (Academy) are doing their part.

LSUsupaFan, way to go!

5. TGer'nLHornLand

I did. See: http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205380233&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=5200

According to LSU and video of Hickey's play... MSU was ranked 23rd. Probably you're speaking to the discrepancy between an ESPN ranking or AP, but that's besides the point. MSU was a ranked team for many parts of last year, and LSU had a 60% turn-out for the game. Pretty unacceptable if you ask me, but we've been down that debate before.

Nevertheless, some of the optimism of next year and the fact that CJJ's bringing a pro-LSU, hometown feel back to the PMAC, I'm hoping for attendance to hopefully be above 9K averages for our 2012-13 SEC season, leading to 10k+ averages for next year. If you look back at Trent and Brady's averages, the high points were probably right around 10K averages (2009 season for Trent, and 2006 season for Brady), which is still pretty short of the 13,400 seat PMAC capacity. In the Daddy Dale years, the higher averages were probably in that 12K ranges in a slightly larger PMAC capacity of closer to 14K.

6. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

It may not quite happen this year but I think the basketball program is very close to being fun again. I'm talking sell-out crowds, annual trips to the big dance, and an exciting brand of basketball. College basketball is such a great environment and LSU fans will get behind a winner.

They are building it and we will come.

TigerTap likes this.
  7. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

I know this isnt 12-13 basketball news but I thought it was cool and didnt want to start another thread. Was watching Sports Center last night and during the Clippers vs Wizards highlights they listed the top 3 performers for each team and I saw the name Temple. I haven't kept up with with past players so I wasn't sure but I looked it up and sure enough it was ole Garrett. Not only did he have a nice game but he also started.
    http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400278429

8. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

9. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Well, it's not about games from the last six years anyway....it's about the very next game, the rest of this season, and NEXT SEASON....woooohoooooo!!!! :D

mrgreen21 likes this.
  10. TGer'nLHornLand

Awesome, indeed! Yeah, not too long ago (just in the last couple of weeks), CHRIS JOHNSON, from our own LSU tigers from the same era also made a name for himself playing for the Minnesota Timberwolves on a 10 day contract. He's in some ways more surprising than Garrett. You look back at that era of MThornton, Garrett, Chris Johnson, Tas' Mitchell, and you had some pretty talented teams. Also funny how after all of that Tas' is probably still toiling as well in the NBDL... Goes to show you sometimes what is "potential" versus what is good for your college basketball team. Tas was a decorated high school player and a tremendous college player, and yet he's a little too slow to play NBA 3, although he played 3 and 4 in college. Chris Johnson always seemed to be too slight to play in college but now he can play as a NBA 4? Just goes to show you the interesting college recruiting calls that folks seem to need to make for their systems. Something tells me that CJJ will prove he's a both a good recruiter (interestingly recruited well for North Texas considering that he won often with under the radar guys, like Josh White), but also a guy who will eventually see more of his guys get to the NBA. You look at a kid like J. Martin and T. Quarterman and they are guys that certainly have the talent to make the NBA if they put in the time. Someone like Jordan Mickey will need to develop inside-out to get there, but he's seemingly already working on it. Interestingly, Jordan Mickey could be a lot like Tas'... just more athletic which will suit him well.

I also really like Hickey's and JOB's chances--they both need some more seasoning, but Hickey is plenty athletic enough. JOB needs to improve his stamina and his low post polish, but it's coming.