2012 OLB Ronnie Feist Committed to LSU

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by bhelmLSU, Feb 5, 2011.

1. kirbysmith4life

kirbysmith4life Founding Member

I follow recruiting often.
    And am fully aware that Star Ratings are opinion based, and the old saying states, everybody has one.

Far from a a homer. I judge the talent I see on film.
    If this kid is 6'2, 225 playing LB in high school, there is no reason not to believe he should be a five tar recruit.
    22 sacks...
    30 tackles for loss.
    And Clowney is a true DE. This kid projects as a LB.
    I do think that Clowney is freakishly talented, but with his wirey frame, I wouldn't have ranked him as the best in the country.
    If you watched the Under Armour Game, Clowney didn't make an impact until Collins left the game with an injury.
    Clowney is definately a five star, but when he goes up against those just as strong as he, he may struggle. When I watch his highlights I see a bunch of kids cowering to a man that is so massive that 99.8% of high school kids just simply don't want to block..

It wont be like that in the SEC.
    Now that being said, I do think Collins is one of the best OT prospects I've seen in some time as well, so judging how Clowney faired against Collins is basically like saying Julius Peppers had a bad day against Joe Thomas, or vice versa.

Back to the topic.
    The kid is a 5* LB in my opinion, not a 5*DE.

I dont really care what publications notice who are says what about who. I watch tape and judge what I see.
    I watched Ronald Powel's footage in August of 09 and said he was the best DE
    in he country. Rivals had him rated a 4*. Then later re-ranked him as the #1 player in the country.

Same for Milliner, the corner form Alabama. Rivals had him rated as a 4*. I saw his tape once and told my good friend the kid was a 5* talent. He was later reranked as a 5, and then goes and starts as a true freshman for Nick Saban.

P.S.
    I also watched Army Bowl Practice sessions of Patrick Peterson, and told all of my buddies he would be a top 5 pick..

All this from watching high school footage.

But stating that might lead you to call me a homer :)

Geaux Tigers

1 person likes this.
  2. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

He's a high 3* to possibly low 4* prospect when all is said and done. Maybe Rivals top 250.

Still a good pickup in an area of need.

3. Bayou Bengal11

Bayou Bengal11 ~Orlando Tiger Coonass~

for you assessment to be accurate...I hope you watch every kids film available in the country...all it takes is 20 or so better films to bump ya down a star since the ratings are relative.

btw...a lot of "recruits" earn their stars at work outs and not with their film. film can be deceptive depending on the lvl of competition.

4. kirbysmith4life

kirbysmith4life Founding Member

That is true in some cases.
    But typically talent speaks for itself, no matter what the level.
    The stars will rise to the top.
    Rasco played in 2A. Does that mean his footage is misleading.
    No sir...

I know where you are coming from, for example, take what I said of Clowney.
    The talent is undeniable, but when I watch his film, I just say a kid that is way bigger, than everybody else, dominating some poor o-lineman that go into the game having already wet their jock straps.

Marshall Faulk went to San Diego State..
    It didn't matter who he was playing against.
    The talent spoke for itself.
    I'm just saying.

But for the sake of being open, please lay out the criteria for what you deem a 5* Lb.

Here is mine.

1. Does he relentlessly pursue the football.
    2. Can he read the play, and instantly react to what he is seeing.
    3. Does he willingly take on blockers to find his way to the ball carrier.
    4. When he gets to his man, does he go down 99% of the time (hey evrybody misses a few tackles :)
    5. Does this player have the speed to get from sideline to side line.
    6. Does this players size develop into that of a potential NFL prospect.

For this kid I have big time check marks.

I'll be waiting for someone to tell me why this kid is a three star or four star prospect..

Because IMHO, the footage says otherwise.
    But i'm always for a legit discussion.

Geaux Tigers

5. dudley

dudley oops!

The headline on that video caught my eye. Anybody familiar with the U19 National Team.

6. tigerfan1974

tigerfan1974 Veteran Member

He impressed the staff enough to give him an early committable offer, so that's speaks volumes to me. But, no way is the film I saw of him as impressive as Clowney's. However, I am no authority on judging nor projecting talent.

I also thought that Clowney was the best player on the field in the U/A game, even with Collins trying to block him. Yes, I know he was on a bum ankle, but for people say that Collins shut him down is ridiculous.

7. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Dude, he didn't do anything against Collins. Collins wasn't in there the whole time, but when he was, yeah, he pretty much shut Clowney down.

8. tigerfan1974

tigerfan1974 Veteran Member

Uh, no he didn't.

9. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Mmmmk. Tell me, how many sacks did Clowney have with La'el on him?

10. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Here ya' go...here's every play where La'el was matched up against Clowney. Clowney got a forced fumble while against him, but otherwise was stoned.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAbzVP3D7xY]YouTube - Collins vs Clowney[/ame]