2014 WR Malachi Dupre

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by ROY_LA_CA, Oct 4, 2013.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I understand that but they have other opportunities at universities that dont have a confederate history as well. As I said if you have an opportunity to attend LSU, thats what you do. But lets not act like they are doing African American athletes some sort of favor, those same athletes are the reasons why those confederate fan bases spends millions to see them play, etc.

Winston1 likes this.
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Sure, but it works both ways, amigo. The athletes are not doing the schools some kind of favor either, they get huge benefits and opportunities in an arrangement that is mutually beneficial. My point is that minority athletes are choosing LSU and other predominantly white universities in large numbers and the bad neighborhood sentiment that you refer to is lessening. As recently as 15-20 years ago, LSU had difficulty recruiting the black New Orleans high schools. But Nick and Les have largely broken that resistance down.

3. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

If this is true, then it ought to be pretty easy to get kids to quit committing to Ole Miss. Other coaches simply need to inform them that 'ole miss' was how the slaves were to address 'ole massa's" wife.

MLUTiger likes this.
  4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Finally allowing for a black QB to lead your team had a huge impact I would think.

5. LSUMASTERMIND

definitely, but some of it lingers and its a problem, look at what we lost this year in recruiting. I hear some of it and I dont get it.

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Are you saying there were racial overtones in the loss of Willis and Noil, perhaps Robinson and Hootie as well?

7. LSUMASTERMIND

not really specific to any one recruit, but it definitely a factor, i know some black people that are outright hostile in their view of LSU in Louisiana, it usually pisses me off so i dont engage in it, but yes its a factor.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There was a lot of talk in the Louisiana papers recently about the decline of the Bayou Classic. LSU and the SEC schools take a lot of black football talent that once flowed to Grambling and Southern. Perhaps that creates some resentment. Hard to blame them for that, but circumstances evolve.

cajdav1 likes this.
  9. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

No, I hear you. I just refuse to buy into it when evidence does not support it. They also visit the other schools, so they have a pretty good idea of what is involved. No one commits after one visit and you can't hide racial demographics that are as one-sided as that.

At the end of the day, who knows why these kids choose another school? Maybe they prefer brushed metal lockers versus wood. Perhaps they got tired of wearing purple all of the time or they really enjoyed a drier climate. They could just want the opportunity to get out of Louisiana and try something new. However, if you try to sell me that it's because they don't want to be surrounded by white people then they better not be enrolling at two of the whitest universities in the South.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  10. geaux9

geaux9 Founding Member

Too bad we can't get back to Dupre.

LSUDad likes this.