2015 LSU Spring Football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDad, Feb 17, 2015.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

What are we talking about.

shane0911 and Tiger Exile like this.
  2. Oliverjuggs

Oliverjuggs Senior Member

How crappy did the defense really look?

3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

The little bit I saw neither Jennings nor Harris impressed. Harris was tap dancing in the backfield rather than sitting in the pocket (while wearing a green shirt) and Jennings was shooting roman candles. Preparing myself for another disappointing season, or as Red says, more than I deserve.

cul2969, shane0911 and ParadiseiNC like this.
  4. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

watched a little bit on the SEC network last night, nothing really struck me as exciting. It was nice to see some tight ends being used in the passing game. And Ducre impressed me with the authority and tenacity he ran with.
    there is still a need at the QB position. None of these guys will get the Tigers a playoff win. The o-line is in transition and will need time to gel once permanent positions are established.
    As for defense, I am not sure what we are going to see. It was said that Steele isn't changing anything and that he was more focused on player improvement. I am still concerned that the changing of the guard will be a setback, at least for one season.

LSUDad likes this.
  5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I know some people will miss Chavis, but fuck that fat bastard. Literally choked games away. Even with our Shitty O he should have known go hard in the end.

shane0911 likes this.
  6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

They moved a number of players around, even changing from White to Purple. Alexander might have lost a couple pounds, looked good at OT, want to see him in the fall. I like Hawk at LOT. Clapp seemed to have really worked hard to master the center position, this is big, allowing Pocic to move to another position. Pocic and Boutte both pulled well from the OG positions. Boutte with the MMA take down (Flag) on Frank Herron, is something Grimes doesn't like to see. If Boutte can master to position, he has a great shot to be a very good OL. Brumfield needs work, but showed well at times against the #1's. KJ Malone, Austin, Dodd and Domond all had good and bad going against the 1's.

I still like Hawk high in next years draft, if Alexander stays at ROT, he too can go in the first two rounds.

7. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Just found this on the OL:

Will Grimes shake up LSU O-Line?
    [​IMG]
    Ben LovePublisher, TigerSportsDigest
    Three starters return to the LSU offensive line in 2015, but as position coach Jeff Grimes told TSD, there's nothing solidified about which guys will play and where.

The LSU spring game has come and gone, and from the glorified scrimmage we know how the Tigers' starting offensive line looks exiting five weeks of spring practices.

From left to right, the first five went:

LT: Jerald Hawkins
    LG: Ethan Pocic
    C: William Clapp
    RG: Josh Boutte
    RT: Vadal Alexander

TSD caught up with offensive line coach Jeff Grimes in Tiger Stadium Saturday. Grimes explained if the above five is likely to hold through to Fall Camp, discussed experimenting with Alexander in different spots and talked about a former player of his at Auburn that's now paying big dividends for the Bayou Bengals.

DISCUSS: Who should start up front?
    ---------------------------
    Ben Love: You shuffled some experienced guys in with some new starters this spring. How did you like that and how did they react?

Jeff Grimes: Spring is an opportunity to look at some things. I’m not sure that the way we necessarily did things today is the way we’ll do things moving forward. We moved some guys around in different spots that you didn’t necessarily see today, but I didn’t want to switch guys’ positions in the spring game. I just wanted to give them one spot and let them stay there.

What we ended up with for a good bit of the spring is due to putting Vadal in position to get a little more experience at tackle. He played tackle early in his career but hasn’t much recently, so knowing what he can do at guard, we wanted to give him a chance to show what he can do at tackle a little bit more. Of course we’ve got a couple of guys in Ethan Pocic and Will Clapp that play center or guard. Ethan can also play tackle.

There’s some versatility there, which is a good thing, because it allows you to move guys around and gives you a little bit easier opportunity to get your best five on the field. But sometimes those decisions about who plays in what spot depend on how some of those young guys grow and develop.”

BL: As far as Vadal goes, it sounds like you believe there’s a chance he plays some guard this fall?

JG: I think there’s always a chance of that based on not only how he performs but also based on other guys, and there’s always injury to factor in. You’re always trying to do whatever you have to do to get your best five guys on the field. Sometimes you play a little musical chairs to do that.

BL: When I interviewed Clapp this spring, he was very complimentary of (first-year offensive line graduate assistant) Ryan Pugh. If you could, run me through you connection with him and experience with Ryan.

JG: I coached him his last two years at Auburn. I came in 2009, which was his junior year, and coached him 2009 and 2010. He was a big part of our national championship team, played center there and was a four-year starter. He had a short stint in the NFL. Then he came and was my graduate assistant for my last year at Auburn, was my graduate assistant the year I spent at Virginia Tech and then this last year he was at Cincinnati. I lost him for a year. And then just this spring I had an opportunity to get him down here to help me again.

BL: You seeing the benefit of that already?

JG: Well, he and I just have so much of a history that there’s a seamless transition to allowing him to come right in and help with these guys. He’s a great, great young coach and already becoming a great addition to our staff.

lsu-i-like and LSUpride123 like this.
  8. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

The "O" looks to have these DL guys moving, a greater push upfield, wrapping up. Quentin Thomas and Lewis Neal sat out the game. Godchaux, Lacouture, Herron, Gilmore, Bower, Clark, Bain, Teuhema and T. LMAO all looked like they could be in the rotation, O likes to run a number of players in and out.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  9. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Both Fournette and D. Williams lost a few pounds, something that was needed. Williams is somewhere under 230, this should help next season. i liked what I saw from Ducre, looks to have picked up the college game well. A number of guys used in the Fullback position, Tony Upchurch had a nice reception for 13 yards.

TE's had a good day. DeSean Smith had a very good day, 2 catches for 62 yds and a TD. Jeter and Gordon also got in the mix. Most of their blocking looked good.

lsu-i-like and LSUpride123 like this.
  10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Wait a minute, you mean LSU understands throwing to the tight end is legal? I figured after the 4 completions to Smith in the bowl game would pretty much kill what little life the TE position gained in that game.

What's the word on Jacory Washington?

LSUDad likes this.