2015 OT Matt Womack Commits to LSU

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by LSUDad, Jul 20, 2014.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

[​IMG]

Jeff Grimes dipped into the state of Louisiana for his newest offensive line prospect. Yesterday, the Tigers hosted a small off./def. linemen camp, with a few prospects in attendance, including LSU commit Adrian Magee, and 2017 Evangel prospect Ethan Harvey. One other notable player in attendance was Matt Womack of Hernando, Miss. Today, word came through that Womack pulled the trigger on committing.

Womack is a composite 3-star OT with an .8344 rating.

247Sports themselves, rank him slightly higher as an 88. He holds offers from both in-state powers, State and Ole Miss, as well as South Carolina and a bevy of small schools. Womack stands at 6'7" and weighs 320 pounds. On the hoof, he's certainly big and broad shouldered, but his body is a bit softer in the middle than I'd hope it would be. The bloom is not yet off the rose with Jeff Grimes, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in regards to offering a prospect with relative little clout at this point.
    Womack must be awfully impressive in camp. To me, considering his body (which can be reformed) and tape, this guy doesn't at all look like a high D1 level prospect. That said, he holds offers from four SEC schools, all coming within the last two months. I can't honestly get a great feel for what his skills are. There's very little pass protection on tape. He is not dominant at the point of attack. He plays high. He appears to play pretty light competition in Mississippi as well.

So what am I missing? Well, there's not a ton of tape of him moving. His offense basically asks him to down block over and over and over again. In a camp setting, where they put players through agility drills and have them try different techniques, you may get to see some of that untapped athleticism.

Frankly, for this one, I have to put trust in Jeff Grimes, because to me, this doesn't look like a prospect we should be taking in July of the recruiting cycle.

More Pics....

https://twitter.com/MattWomack2015

geauxtigs likes this.
  2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Womack chooses LSU

Paul Letlow
    TigerBait.com

Talk about it in The Four Horsemen Lounge

A little quality time with the LSU coaching staff and players was all it took to sway Class of 2015 offensive line prospect Matt Womack to commit on Sunday.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Womack poses for a photo with Les Miles
    "They laid out the carpet for him," Womack's father David Womack said. "He really got to spend some good time with Coach (Les) Miles and Coach (Jeff) Grimes over the weekend. It kind of shocked me because he doesn't tell us anything. I guess he got all his questions answered this weekend."

Although he declined a phone interview with Tigerbait.com, the Hernando (Miss.) product announced his decision to cross the state border with a short tweet mid-morning Sunday: "I'm a LSU Tiger!"

The 6-7, 330-pounder arrived on the Baton Rouge campus Friday for LSU's lineman camp. His father said the only misgivings Matt had coming in were lack of familiarity with the coaches and players but that quickly changed as LSU's offensive line coach Grimes spent hours giving him a tour and watching film with the player.

"Matt was leaning toward Ole Miss but he really liked LSU," David Womack said. "We'd been there a couple of times. The only thing he didn't like about LSU was that he didn't know anyone."

Womack chose LSU over numerous offers including Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Louisville.

"LSU is a big time program," Womack said. "We were extremely excited and would support Matt wherever he went. We wanted him to go where he was the best fit and could play at a high level of football."

David Womack himself said he was impressed after sitting in on the meeting with Miles.

"I love Coach Miles," he said. "He's a very friendly guy and seems very sincere about his players. He always has. I've always seen that. We've followed SEC football, so he's really a likable guy. He tells a lot of life stories and puts them in a point where it's hard to turn him down."

Another selling point for Womack was the promise of early playing time if he can graduate and enroll at LSU in January.

"Coach Miles told Matt that he is an elite player," David Womack said. "He is planning on Matt graduating in January. Matt hasn't totally planned to do that yet. But Coach Miles told him if he gets him in here in January, he felt like if he learns the playbook he can play and possibly start as a freshman. He told Matt that the right tackle position is where they want him."

David Womack said the family already has some purple and gold in the wardrobe, but that's about to expand.

"Come Christmas, everybody is going to be wearing LSU stuff," he said with a laugh. "Our whole family and most of his friends and coaches wanted to see him go to LSU."

Writeup from the Irish, Thanks.........

https://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1660873

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Offensive lineman Matt Womack has committed to LSU, he tweeted Sunday.

Womack, a three-star prospect out of Hernando, Mississippi, is LSU’s 14th commitment in the 2015 class, a group that ranks No. 13 nationally in 24/7 Sports composite team rankings.

Womack’s commitment is non-binding. He can make it official on signing day in February.

Womack, 6-foot-7, 320 pounds, chose LSU after visiting campus over the weekend. His lead offers came from Mississippi State, Ole Miss and South Carolina. The tackle was seen as a heavy lean toward Ole Miss, according to several recruiting experts.

Ranked as the 130th offensive tackle in the nation in 2015, Womack is LSU’s third offensive linemen of the class, all of them tackles. He joins three-star Adrian Magee of Franklinton and five-star Maea Teuhema of Keller, Texas.

Womack told the Jackson, Mississippi, Clarion-Ledger that he could enroll early in January. Offensive line coach Jeff Grimes recruited Womack and told the tackle that he might start immediately.

“He said if I graduate in December I could come down and start learning the offensive in the spring and play as a true freshman my first year as right tackle,” Womack told the newspaper.

Womack transferred last summer from Hernando to a private school, Magnolia Heights in Senatobia, Mississippi.

4. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

5. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Huge dude. CLM was once an O-lineman, right? Boy, have times changed, looking at that pic of he and Miles.

LSUDad likes this.
  6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Word out, he lost a little of the baby fat. Once he got into the camp circuit, the offers came into play. Over the last few weeks, he has attended a number of camps and got offers from Louisville, Moo St, Ole Miss (Most thought this is where he was going to sign), USCE. Les and Grimes really liked this kid, Matt and his family said, his recruiting is over. There is a good chance he could make it into the Spring, an will shoot for that, kind of like when Pocic came in for the Spring. An early start into the college football. Glad to have him........Welcome TIGER.

7. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

More info...

Mississippi State hauled in eight commitments over the weekend, but neither the Bulldogs–nor the Ole Miss Rebels–could keep LSU from swooping in this weekend to snag a top offensive tackle from the Magnolia State.

Over the weekend, Matt Womack–a coveted 6-foot-7, 320-pound offensive tackle out of Hernando (Miss.)–went with the Tigers. He also held a scholarship offer from South Carolina, which came in mid June. And Ole Miss, Mississippi State, LSU and Louisville had all entered the fray for Womack just prior to the Gamecocks’ offer. Things have really cranked up in two months for the tackle, and his ranking will undoubtedly rise.

“LSU is one of the top programs in the country and I just feel it is the best place for me … I love everything about LSU,” Womack told Saturday Down South after he committed. “My state didn’t have anything to do with my recruiting. It was always just about the school and the coaches. The stadium has 102,000 now. It will be unbelievable. I’m sure I will be ready to smash somebody in the mouth.”

LSU has 14 commitments now and is rated No. 13 in the nation. Womack is the third offensive lineman to come aboard, along with Maea Teuhema and Adrian Magee.

TigerTap likes this.
  8. 1BIGTIGER

1BIGTIGER Founding Member

6'7" and 320lbs with Moffit on him and the right coaching he has the measurable to be a future LT. Welcome to the TIGERS young man!

TigerTap likes this.
  9. dudley

dudley oops!

10. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Just saw a Twitter post that Womack has flipped to Bama.

LSUDad likes this.