2016 CB Saivion Smith Commits to LSU

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by EyeoftheTiger 2015, Feb 24, 2015.

1. EyeoftheTiger 2015

EyeoftheTiger 2015 Senior Member

Yeah, it is a highlight video of course, but I have watched literally hundreds of these (offense and defense players) over the years. This is the first time I can ever remember the guy's first 7 plays on the video resulting in TDs...some were INTs...some were blocked punts, etc. Once again highlights, but I think those were all in 1 season...how many guys could even put a highlight video together from 1 season with 7 different plays scoring defensive/special teams blocks TDs? And i'm not sure if he had any other ones later in the video. Maybe Patrick Peterson could have...not many! :)

LSUDad likes this.
  2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I'm super excited to get this guy's commitment no matter who else has committed so far.He is a ball hawking stud and a huge get for the Tigers. We are currently sitting in very good shape with a host of great players and hopefully this sets off a chain reaction.

3. EyeoftheTiger 2015

I would take a chain reaction just from IMG Academy in Bradelton, FL. :) Of course two are already committed to FSU, 1 to LSU, but there are 3 more Top 100 nationally from that one school. According to 24/7 composite ratings,they have #3 #6 #9 #33 #61 #81 players in the nation. Wow!

LSUDad likes this.
  4. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Called out? lol. All you did was admit you have no ideas worth sharing about who or what interest LSU at LB which, without a solution in the middle, this kid might be tasked to clean up a bigger mess than what he is currently skilled to do. So till we start seeing LB commits, the ones that shiny new LB guru we just bought approves of, I'll just sleep over this kid.

You really wanna contribute, geaux find me a 4 LB's that might help this kid excel. Till then, this cat is cool aid and you are just gawking at the stars.
    Betcha can't say that 10 times real fast.
    but wait, you are gonna miss the good part...

Brian, red55, LSUpride123 and 2 others like this.
  5. Brian

Brian Founding Member

His highlight videos were Honey Badger-esque against High School competition, of course.

LSUDad likes this.
  6. EyeoftheTiger 2015

Yeah, I believe there was one play where he stripped the ball on a tackle and ran it in for a TD. But one thing that S Smith in HS that at least Mathieu never did in college is block kicks. Of course, punt protection is a tad better in college than HS but I've never seen a HS player block as many kicks as this guy did. Definitely reminds me somewhat of Mathieu in forcing turnovers but his size and his INTs remind me more of Patrick Peterson.

Brian and LSUDad like this.
  7. EyeoftheTiger 2015

I just hope the guy works on his self-confidence a bit :p What's the old saying...."it isn't bragging if you can back it up." :) I will say this...I didn't see the swag on LSU's defense last year that I saw when say Peterson was there....or Mathieu was there. Besides 3rd and Chavis setting them up to give up all those 3rd and long conversions, it ultimately comes down to making plays. You get a sack....you grab an INT....you don't let teams get 3rd and longs. When you rank near the bottom of the SEC in sacks and INTs, I don't give a damn what your supposed defensive rank is! You are NOT making the big plays!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-like-peterson-meet-the-no-1-cb-saivion-smith

8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I agree, and understand he was playing % football. It just seems like it bit us in the ass FAR too often.

if 1st and 10 goes to 2nd and 12 and 2nd and 12 goes to 3rd and 12, why the fuck would you change any damn thing?

9. EyeoftheTiger 2015

When Chavis came here, I didn't understand what Tennessee fans were talking about. In his early years, he had playmakers that covered up his conservative approach to 3rd and longs...guys like Mathieu made plays regardless of the defense...or LSU got the ball back before 3rd down even came around on fumbles and INTs. But when LSU didn't take the ball away on early downs, it became obvious what Chavis did to earn "3rd and Chavis"...hardly even blitzes on 3rd and long....has the CBs drop way off the receivers...and drops the back 7 behind the sticks. His obvious strategy was to allow a short completion or a run by the QB and have the guys come up and tackle before the FD is made. There is a "tiny flaw" in that tactic. If you don't tackle well or you have above average skill position guys on offense, the play is uncontested at the beginning and a missed tackle or accurate throw means a first down.

Brian likes this.
  10. Brian

Brian Founding Member

The lack of a pass rush under Chavis drastically declined in recent years. We had talent along the defensive front, but rarely did they live up to it the past couple seasons. And Chavis always had the benefit of an offense with a very strong ground game to keep his players fresh and the score close.