2016 CB Saivion Smith Commits to LSU

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by EyeoftheTiger 2015, Feb 24, 2015.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Towards the end, Chavis biggest problems were off the field.

Brian likes this.
  2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

What does this mean?

ROY_LA_CA likes this.
  3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Where are most of his problems now?
    Same as before, recruiting, working within a staff, getting with recruits and their families. Kids and families want to see a position coach. It was known that Brick, Frank, Les and all the coaches had to pick up his slack.
    Saying one thing , then doing another.

The recruiting game had caught up with him.

When he has the players and his head is in the game, great coach.

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Gotcha, I thought you were implying something more nefarious.

LSUDad and ROY_LA_CA like this.
  5. EyeoftheTiger 2015

EyeoftheTiger 2015 Senior Member

Yeah, you can definitely add in a dropoff in talent regarding pass rush to the mix I stated also. When you don't get sacks and you don't take the ball away via fumbles and INTs, your defensive scheme get exposed. A perfect example would be La Tech. I think Manny Diaz is a good DC but he got a tad more credit about La Tech's defense than perhaps deserved. The defense was in the middle of the rankings but what made them look better than they were is they were like #1 or #2 in forcing turnovers. 3rd and Chavis passive defense was exposed on his hideous record on denying 3rd and longs. I honestly used to hope the opponent would have 3rd and short, NOT 3rd and long. I think LSU played a more aggressive defense at that point and the offense went more conservative also. None of that explains to me when Danielle Hunter had an up and coming SO campaign and then went invisible for many games his JR season.

ParadiseiNC and Brian like this.
  6. EyeoftheTiger 2015

Yep. There is one and only one person who can be blamed for the LBer cupboard being pretty bare. In fact, if Garrett doesn't pan out (I think he will BTW), the depth is non-existent. 3rd and Chavis was the LBer coach...3rd and Chavis was the DC. So if LBer is a unit of weakness in either numbers or quality, take a wild guess where the blame resides. People seem obsessed with QB here....I'm at least as concerned about LBer. I liked Beckwith and Alexander....really no one else that hit the field that I cared for in this unit. Well, Alexander is gone and LSU has signed a grand total of 2 LBers in the last 2 years. D Alexander I really never expect much from which makes Clifton Garrett one of the most important players on the entire LSU team IMO.

LSUDad and ROY_LA_CA like this.
  7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

You have no love for Welter? He is a fan favorite around here. Let some tell it and he was Dick Butkus reincarnated

LSUDad and Brian like this.
  8. EyeoftheTiger 2015

God bless him. I think he did everything possible to improve...listened to coaches, kept himself in shape, probably watched film, kept his nose clean off the field, etc. But might I suggest another reincarnation and this will test your LSU knowledge. Remember Thomas Dunson I believe from The Woodlands, TX. I believe TD finished his career at Sam Houston State. Both were too slow and not athletic enough to play LBer...at least not in the SEC. I actually think he played well vs Iowa in the bowl game (2013 season). I believe Welter ended up "guessing" quite a bit because he knew he had to move earlier than he wanted to in order to try to get to the play. I saw him more times than I want to remember going to the wrong spot on the LOS...and the play went 2 yards to the side of where he was. I don't think he was fooled..I just think he had to decide too early where to move. And the sad part is the LSU beat writers built this guy up as some great improved player....well, we know that wasn't true. Still slow...still not strong enough, etc. But I won't knock the guy's heart.

cajdav1, shane0911, Winston1 and 2 others like this.
  9. Brian

Brian Founding Member

Well, it's no surprise Chavis lasted so long under Fulmer and then found a home with another loyal head coach who was also outstanding at acquiring stud players in the talent-rich LSU program. He's gone to aTm which is probably his last big payday, and even if he gets them middle of the road it'd be such a marked improvement the fans would be thrilled. Low expectations can be a huge ally of a coach.

Still, I think Chavis was well-compensated considering his lack of work on the recruiting end -- he basically was being paid more than the actual dollar amount since any other DC in the country making the exact same check as him had to do more work to earn it.

I'm still hopeful for Debo Jones at linebacker to improve and step up.

10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Aww crap, now you are going to get @LSUDad in here talking about what he and some scout who probably is no longer with us had for lunch 20 years ago. If he can remember