2016 CB Saivion Smith Commits to LSU

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by EyeoftheTiger 2015, Feb 24, 2015.

1. EyeoftheTiger 2015

EyeoftheTiger 2015 Senior Member

OK, I don't know the history here of @LSUDad but I can take a wild guess. Some of that seems :p but my guess is some of that might explain perhaps that you believe his middle name is "Nostalgia"? :D

LSUDad likes this.
  2. EyeoftheTiger 2015

EyeoftheTiger 2015 Senior Member

This is Chief's last ride. I used to laugh when some people thought he would become a head coach. :rolleyes: Whether anyone thought he was God's gift to college football or not, if they strung 3rd and Chavis up for being a hard worker or obsessed with football, they would be hanging an innocent man. The guy was lousy at recruiting and I never noticed any great adjustments during games either. The main good thing that he will be remembered for at LSU was stopping Johnny Manziel twice...most teams couldn't even stop him once. But the bad thing he will be remembered for is countless times allowing teams to pick up 3rd and longs and to allow teams to move down the field in literally seconds at the end of games...just this season, Alabama, Ole Miss, A&M, Florida, etc. Doesn't mean LSU lost all those games but certainly could have. And I will say after the utter failure of Peveto/Maliory as co-DC (BTW, most seem to blame it on their being 2 DCs...I blame the failed experiment on 2 lousy DCs), Chavis did look like a Godsend. LSU could have done a lot worse I will say. As far as Jones goes, IMO, just stick him in with Louis, Phillips, Feist,etc....guys that IMO simply never panned out.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Not really, he is sort of a name dropper that never drops a name

cajdav1, Brian and LSUDad like this.
  4. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Selective Dropper.

Brian likes this.
  5. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I don't know why but people always invite me to places with them all the time. Guess I make good company?

cajdav1 and EyeoftheTiger 2015 like this.
  6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

See what I mean

LSUDad likes this.
  7. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

An what I said about off the field. He stated that all he wanted to be was a DC in college, at LSU. Some word he had applied for a college Head Coaching job, and was mad cause he thought he should have gotten the job. Like I said, off the field problems.

Brian likes this.
  8. Brian

Brian Founding Member

I think Debo has a chance to become a very solid player for LSU this season. He and Kwon were indistinguishable their rookie seasons, imo. Kwon came on obviously and had a stellar career, but that doesn't mean Jones is a slouch.

LSUDad and cajdav1 like this.
  9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I think our pass rush improves because of better dline coaching, not because of a DC change. I hope Steele can match Chavis on first and second down and better him on third down, which an improved pass rush would help out with. I agree with Chavis being better at stopping third and short or mid range than he was at third and long.

And to add one thing to this, I thought Chavis put guys who were great at man to man into way too much zone coverage, especially in red zone coverages. I believe that cost us a couple of Bama games and the UGA game, games that likely would have put us in the SEC championship game in 2013 if we had won.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Both, I hope. But the biggest advantage would be to have junior and senior defensive linemen starting instead of freshmen and sophomores. Blocking schemes in the SEC are complex. Big strong guys get beat all the time because they don't fully understand blocking angles and potential double-teams. Nothing smartens you up like having your ass whipped a couple of times. You begin to anticipate that trap block and learn when a stunt is going to work or not.