2017 federal waters red snapper season

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, May 2, 2017.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Not to bring up an old arguement with tiga but they announced the federal red snapper season today.....a whopping 3 days this year June 1-3. Don't even get a full weekend as it's a thurs-sat. Shortest season on them since they started having a season instead of it just bring open year round. Also triggerfish and amberjack are shut down competent and grouper more limited than ever. They are well on their way to their goal of total closure of all fishing for reef fish in fed waters by 2020. Pelagics like tuna and other popular species like mahi and wahoo will soon follow if the gulf council and nmfs are allowed to continue this theft of a public resource.

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

That's bullshit. No reason for that short of a season. If a man has family obligations such as a wedding, funeral, etc. he can't fish for red snapper all season? Or if the weather is bad and he can't go out? I'm with you on this jval. I'm no salt water guy but it's enough to not want to buy a saltwater license, if I were.

How far out does one have to go to catch red snapper?

3. jvalhenson

Depends on state. TX LA AL and FL they can found within 5 miles but further is better(generally) out to 400ft of depth. MS is a little further bc of the MS sound so we have to clear the barrier islands but within 5 miles of those. Obviously that varies based on exactly where you are in each state. States get 9nm out then it's fed water from there. Each state sets its own season too but can only fish that narrow 9 miles strip which is now full of snapper bc they are massively overpopulated to the point of putting other species in danger as there red snapper crowd them out. Like we have already discussed I have some winter holes that are supposed to be full of big white trout all winter but they are overrun with snapper and these are right behind the islands

4. LSUTiga

Does not compute. If farther (it's "farther" btw. That one is confused a lot. Here's a tip, "distance" is "far" never "fur" I have to do this cause it will irk tirk) is better but closer is massively overpopulated, what gives? Serious question.

5. LSUTiga

6. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

3 Day Recreational Red Snapper Season in Federal Waters
    WPBTiger is the thread starter.
    Stick that up your ass Sunshine Boy.

shane0911 likes this.
  7. LSUTiga

Tell your wife to stop letting you user her user.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Maybe they didn't teach you this at the Bunkie Agricultural School but you don't have to be a member of a forum to view threads, just to post.

COTiger likes this.
  9. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I can post also. I'm not going to reveal my user name.

10. jvalhenson

The closer spots in shallower water were not typically snapper holding structure until now. But the red snapper that are in that close on those shallower structures and mostly juvenile small snapper. The deeper the water the better the structure you generally find and the bigger the fish. The bigger ones that covering up the deeper structures from 60-400ft depths have the juvenile fish pushed in in huge numbers on the much shallower 30-50 ft structures as they have nowhere else to go. When you can only keep 2/person most folks will want to make a longer run and get 2 in the 15-25lb range than stay close and get 2 4lbers.....even though the little ones are better to eat. This is a speaking in generalities of course there are exceptions of small fish staying on our deeper(they gotta be tough to not get ate by the bigger snapper) and there are spots in shallow that have 20lbers on them....but generally the further farther whatever out you go the bigger snapper will catch. As we have already discussed my issue isn't with red snapper which I don't care that much for.....it's the theft of a public resource that is then given to a select few to sell for profit.....and those freaking red bastards have made it near impossible to target mangrove vermillion or lane snapper or any grouper in less than 400ft of water. They have eaten near everything out there and even when there are other varieties around you can't get a bait past the red ones.