2017 off season thread

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by mctiger, Mar 10, 2017.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I give the Saints a solid B+ for the first day of free agency. Retaining Fairley was big. You always worry about paying a guy who plays his best ball in a contract year, but letting him go would have created yet another hole to be filled. And while they gave him a big contract, he didn't break the bank.

Sneaking in Warford under the radar rather than getting into a bidding war for Fluker was nice. Young and healthy, he should stabilize the left guard position that has been a revolving door since Carl Nicks left. They'll probably still look for a small college, mid round steal in the draft, but there won't be the urgency for that guy to play right away (assuming we keep Evans around for at least another year.)

Ginn was an intriguing signee. He's 32 years old, but he's rarely been a starter, and he's only missed 9 games in 10 years, so he's not likely on the verge of breaking down. And he's played the best football of his career in the last 3 seasons. If they pull the trigger on a Cooks trade, Snead likely moves into that spot with Ginn as the 3rd receiver and punt returner. And he is still a threat on special teams. (Side note...Cooks for Butler looks like a good deal, but I worry about dealing with New England...why are they willing to give up Butler, and if they want Cooks this bad, why should we let him go?)

Not sure what to say about Klein. He's been relatively productive as a backup for Carolina, but we're already well-stocked with guys who did well as other team's backups. We need a starter. I'll go optimistic and allow that maybe he's learned a lot playing behind Kuechley and is ready to move up; there just wasn't room for him in Carolina's starting lineup. Stay tuned.....

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  2. mctiger

ESPN reporting the Cooks trade is a done deal. Cooks and our 4th (118th pick) to NE for their 1st (number 32) and their 3rd (number 103). Saints got taken.

titoabad1 and Richdog like this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

They should keep Cooks if they can't do any better than that. I can hear Belichick laughing all the way from Baton Rouge

TwistedTiger likes this.
  4. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Trades a player who doesn't want to be there for a draft spot where a top CB will still be on the board in a very deep DB class. Get a rusher or LB with the early pick and the defense is an instant upgrade.

5. mctiger

If they don't blow the picks completely. The Saints have been very good at that recently - you do realize that with this trade, there is no longer a single player from the 2014 or 2012 drafts on the roster? That's why an already proven player would have been much more preferable.

6. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I never understood what his beef was when he was here. He's got a HOF QB throwing to him, so what's the deal? He could be in HOU or DEN where their QBs are lucky to complete 50% of their passes.

If it's winning, then I get it. I know he's going to a team with another HOF QB who's probably the GOAT, but if he wasn't targeted enough or something like that, he's going to be in for a rude awakening going to NE with Gronkowski coming back next year. Not saying he will never get thrown to, but his role will be similar to what it was here: Stretch the field and open underneath for possession type receivers (Edelman/Amendola), while Gronk gets the bulk of the throws; Cooks will occasionally score TDs on double moves or fly routes. He's not going to be 'the man' in NE.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Brady hasn't completed passes consistently down field since 2010. That's why they just signed another white wr. StaceyOs student Rex burkhead whom she wanted to bang if I recall.

8. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Yunno the world is coming to an end when the saints are talking to Johnny Manziel

#pleasemakeitstop

Bengal B likes this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

They must have picked him up by the roadside where he was holding a sign that said "Will sit on bench for booze and drugs."

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Wtf say it ain't so