2018 Draft

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by shane0911, Dec 3, 2017.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Who do we pick up? I'm thinking Baker Mayfield would be a nice replacement to sit behind Drew while he plays his last year or two?

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

You're there in Okie, @shane0911. Will his maturity be an issue?

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

He will be gone before the Saint pick. I would take him but I wouldn't trade up to get him.

didit and mctiger like this.
  4. mctiger

Always a lot of pressure to play 1st round QB's quickly. That makes it dicey to select one when you have a 1st ballot HoF'er who still at the top of his game.

5. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

D-line and LBs...

6. mctiger

Listening to the early show on WWL today, Steve Korte rightly suggested that there is not a position on the team that couldn't be improved through the draft. I'd temper that comment a bit....I certainly wouldn't waste a pick on a tailback in '18, or on a safety if they re-up Vaccaro. They should also have a better idea by draft day of Okafor's health, and that could determine whether DE is an area of need. Ditto Delvin Breaux and the cornerback position. But where QB is concerned, they need to try to lock up Brees on at least a 3-year deal before draft day. Then maybe you take a flier on a developmental QB in the middle rounds. Only if it looks like he wants to go elsewhere (and he has decisively said he wants to stay) would I go QB in the 1st round.

Bengal B likes this.
  7. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

IDK bro. It's telling that they're not throwing hardly any deep balls anymore. It really pains me to say this but I think drew's days are kind of numbered. I think he's good for next year but the year after that is a question. I've started to see a little bit of a decline this year for the first time. I hope he proves me wrong and I look like a fool. WHO DAT.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Even if Brees skills have started to decline at the present time he is still one of the top 5 QB's in the league. He is 2 years younger than Brady who is still as good as ever.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Man I don't think so. I don't hang out with the guy but I know he can play and the bottom line is he is just a winner. Bout the same size as Drew, pretty damn accurate and has some scoots. Think it would be a good fit for Peyton if he stays. Just a thought.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I didn't know he was short. He may one day turn out to be another Brees but Drew play a few years in San Diego perfecting his skills. If he is the Saints QB for the next 2 or 3 years Mayfield or anybody else wouldn't be able to get the on the field experience he would get by being drafted by a team that needs a QB right away. Mayfield may or may not blossom into an elite NFL QB but if he is going to he needs to be with a team that won't keep him on the bench for long.

At any rate he won't be available by the time the Saints draft pick rolls around.