2018 LSU football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Feb 11, 2018.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

so gonna try and find a silver lining in all this madness that has occurred with LSU over the last few seasons. It’s been dramatic, handled poorly, and it seems like LSU is on a downward trend. However, there is hope albeit not very much.

We all know 2019 is a banner year for the state of Louisiana as far as its high school talent is concerned. If Orgeron can somehow manage to get to 9 or so wins, even 10, I think we have a good shot at a lot of these players. Even 8 wins if one of those is against Alabama. I know don’t hold your breath right? Here’s the thing though. Do you trust Dave Aranda? Do you trust Corey Raymond? Because this defense could be special. You can cover up a lot of flaws with a dominant defensive line. And LSU should have a great defensive front. Rasherd Lawerence, Fehoko, Shelvin, Alexander, Glen Logan, Rosethal. That’s depth and talent. Then you have Devin White, Chiasson, Tyler Taylor, Divinity, Queen, Phillips, Cherry, Travez Moore at linebacker, and the defensive backs, Greedy, Joseph, Delpilt, Stevens (hopefully) Battle, Vincent.

The defense is good enough to win games and keep LSU in games. If LSU can figure out who the center is and get great O line play as well, this season could go better than expected. We shall see.

TigerTap, Brian, LSUpride123 and 5 others like this.
  2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

And, while our OC isn't what we wanted it was more productive and creative than anything we have seen in a minute. Good job @LaSalleAve , this might just work out after all. Always better to wait and see.

I'm sure our buddy taint will be along to shit all over the thread soon anyway.

Brian, ParadiseiNC and lsu-i-like like this.
  3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Defense should be improved, but if offense can’t do anything they’ll break. I have some hope E will put together the most balanced attack we’ve seen in a long while. Brennan will probably have growing pains, but our WRs actually have a coach now, which should be a vast improvement over the joke we’ve had. RBs aren’t Fournette, Guice, or Williams, but I like CEH and hope we have enough to be balanced. We actually have a STs coach; there’s got to be improvement, right?

Our schedule looks brutal, but I’m not a believer in the U (or Richt). AU in week 3 will be tough. Beat Tech and OM, FU with Mullen in week 6 will be tough, hope he doesn’t have everything put together yet (and maybe the pressures of the job are tough on him). UGA with Smart - I don’t believe in ex-Bama coaches, but this fugger was good on/off the field in year 1. 5-2 (2-2) is a good bet and not too bad.

Beat a Mullen-less MOOU, then we get our dose of BAMA. 6-3 (3-3).

Win out vs Arky, Rice, and A&M, 9-3 (5-3). Third in the West. Anything less would be terrible. Anything better would be nice (still not why we fired Miles, but that wouldn’t quite be trending down with ???s on the offensive side of the ball).

Maybe win a bowl, that would put a nice bow on things.

Anything less, recruiting probably suffers. Anything better might help put the border up. In a way, avoiding a total collapse would kind of be a win for the program. Maybe we get rid of some dumb fuck administrators (BOS and FKing) and Edwards doesn’t totally reload an anti-football crew (really seems like lofty expectations). If O holds serve, maybe a more seasoned Brennan can be a legit threat.

I’d love to hope for more, but LSU’s decade of disappointment is real. I’m not overly confident WW can get basketball over the hump next year. Maybe in 2019-20 football, basketball, and baseball can put together the trifecta promised when Fournette/Simmons/Bregman were supposed to do it.

TigerTap, LSUpride123 and ROY_LA_CA like this.
  4. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Don’t overthink it, amigo. Lots of possibilities, lots of variables. I look forward to watching it all unfold. The defense should be strong, and the offense exciting. Blessed to be a tiger fan.

5. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

The bait is tossed out.

TigerTap likes this.
  6. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

1797845908528b9053188a542179193d.jpg

Richdog, Bayou Tiger and lsu-i-like like this.
  7. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

Yes, I do trust Aranda & Raymond. They weren't hired by Rosy. I seriously doubt both with be here in 2019 though.

I don't trust Ensminger, who's been here since 2010 & didn't do squat developing TEs. Now he's supposed to be the QB whisperer? He only completed 45% of his passes as a QB here. Won't matter as Rosy the Meddler returns.

Basically, I agree that Defense should be a silver lining. Could win a few that the Offense can't.

Disappointing to see LSU fall so far back in National Rankings & the worst recruiting class in 15 years. Is 9 wins or 8 with a win over Bama win accepted as good at LSU now?

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Perhaps his boss thought a TE was a lineman and thus an ineligible receiver.

Different era, different game. If you're going to try to make a point with 40 year old stats Joe Montana played for Notre Dame in the same time frame with a more sophisticated passing game under Dan Devine than Enslinger had under Charlie Mac, Montana had only a 52% completion ratio. Oh, and Ensminger's teammate and alternate QB David Woodley? Woodley's completion ratio was 47.4 at LSU.

Brian, didit and furduknfish like this.
  9. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

Have some hope.

"I picked this class, I trust my own judgment"

"We planned to leave 2 scholarships open"

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  10. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

I wasn't arguing 1970's college QBs. But if I was, you just pointed out that Montana completed a much higher percentage of his passes & also had a 124 QB Rating. Ensminger had a 102 QBR. One was drafted by the NFL, one was not. And they had a lot more rounds in the draft back then.

At what point does the "It was a different game, a diferent era" or "Modern era" thing stop? Or is it a perpetual thing, to make it appear football is somehow massively changing every year? Maybe really young people think a lot of it is all brand new, but that's inexperience.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018