2019-2020 Basketball

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu-i-like, Nov 3, 2019.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Ever since he got allegedly busted, I think he’s handled things well. And the argument can be made that we wouldn’t be where we are if he wasn’t aggressively pushing boundaries.

The only criticism I really have is being caught on tape saying “strong ass offer”, but that might just be the cost of business. It didn’t sound like he said anything specific, so it’s possible even in that boo boo he handled things adeptly.

I put more of this on Alleva, but he brought the guy in which eventually led to his on demise because he decided to square off vs WW. So even Alleva deserves end-around credit.

2. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

should he have anticipated that his calls were being recorded by the feds?

the NCAA cannot listen in on his calls, they are not government, just rules for sports. this was very rare, a very frivolous federal case not involving wade. wade has not received any punishment from the NCAA.

what % of college coaches do you think would be in trouble if we recorded their calls? 100%?

could you clarify the specifics of my dishonesty? what was my claim that was not honest?

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What % of college coaches would still have a job if they played strictly by the book.

4. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I think WW plays by the same rules as other coaches; he’s just better.

Bengal B likes this.
  5. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

6. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

lsu-i-like likes this.
  7. kcal

kcal Founding Member

From an article in the Athletic today regarding potential ncaa infractions:

Will LSU, Arizona, Kansas, etc. who were involved with the FBI investigation ever get any punishment? Seems like the case has been going on for several years now with nothing happening. — Trent W.

I understand the frustration, and I can assure you the schools feel the same way. They all know penalties are coming. They just want to know what they are so they can pick up the pieces and move on.

Much of the confusion on the part of the public stems from a lack of understanding of how the process unfolds during a typical NCAA infractions case. Here are the main seven steps, and how long each one takes:

1. NCAA issues Notice of Allegations
    2. School has 90 days to respond
    3. NCAA has 60 days to reply to school’s response
    4. Committee on Infractions hearing, usually a minimum 45 days after NCAA’s reply
    5. COI issues decision, typically two to three months after the hearing
    6. School has 45 days to file appeal
    7. Committee on Appeals rules, typically two to three months after appeal has been filed

Of the schools Trent listed, Kansas is the furthest along. KU got its Notice of Allegations last September, and the NCAA replied to the school’s response on May 7. In a normal environment, Kansas would have already had its infractions hearing, but, of course, this is not a normal environment, and it’s not clear when the hearing will take place. Adding to the uncertainty is that KU’s case has been referred to the Independent Accountability Resolution Process, which is the outside body set up for major infractions cases where the school and NCAA are intensely at odds. N.C. State has also been referred to the IARP, and Louisville has said it plans go that route as well.

As far as we know, seven schools have been served with an NOA: Kansas, Louisville, N.C. State, Oklahoma State, South Carolina, TCU and USC. Kansas and N.C. State have made it through the third step. TCU and USC are private schools so they have not disclosed their responses. Oklahoma State is the only school to reach the penalty phase. The COI handed down a postseason ban on the Cowboys in early June, and OSU is appealing that decision.

Five other schools are being investigated but have not gotten an NOA (or at least publicly acknowledged it): Alabama, Arizona, Auburn, Creighton and LSU.

So we’ve got an unusually high number of high-profile major infractions cases being processed during a pandemic. Normally these things take time; right now they are taking a lot of time. But don’t confuse delay with distraction. The NCAA is determined to come down hard on these schools. It’s only a matter of time before the next hammers fall.

hmmm.....

lsu-i-like likes this.
  8. HoopHound

HoopHound Veteran Member

Thx for the post.
    If NCAA is looking to make a statement, hammering the programs where actual data exists (the current crap with NOI) certainly folls that bill.
    But there is also the threat of killing the golden goose. Dragging it out only hurts this. Everyone needs closure.

Bengal B likes this.
  9. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

javonte and days are returning. watford pending decision. wade on the radio in 30 mins

lsu-i-like and kcal like this.
  10. kcal

kcal Founding Member

Jmg likes this.