23 Tigers drafted in First Round in history

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by cajdav1, Apr 4, 2004.

1. rookie

rookie Founding Member

The reason Lafleur was considered such a bust was because he was replacing an All Pro and future hall of famer in Novacek. He was regarded as the best blocking tight end in the NFL when he was playing but Dallas wasn't used to seeing that as Novacek was basically a receiver lined up at tight end. For this reason he really never got his due. He wasn't great but would have been very serviceable had he not had to retire due to injury.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Wendell Davis had a fine NFL career. I don't think any of these players was a bust. LaFleur had an injury-shortened career which was disappointing, but not a bust.

Y.A. Tittle, Steve Van Buren, and Jimmy Taylor are NFL Hall-of-Famers.

3. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Minor point, but Billy Cannon was drafted by the L.A. Rams and the Oilers,
    not the Cardinals and the Oilers. His decision to play for Houston was a big
    victory for the infant AFL in it's struggle w/ the NFL, and helped shape pro football as we know it today.

Also, Johnny Robinson, Cannon's backfield mate, was drafted in the first round by the Lions, but was a second round pick of the then Dallas Texans
    (later Kansas City Chiefs) who he ended up playing for.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

And remember, Cannon signed with both the Oilers and the Rams but one of the contracts was pre-dated or something toi that effect, I can't recall exactly what happened.

5. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Didn't someone try to make Harvey Williams a TE towards the end of his career? I guess that project didn't work because that was the last I heard of him.

I know LaFleur was well respected for his blocking ability in the NFL. Every time he would catch the ball at LSU, I was hoping he would just go down so he wouldn't fumble.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Harvey actually played a few years at tight end with the Raiders. He had a fairly productive career.

7. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

Cam Cleeland did better then Lafleur for the Saints, he was a injury prone cry baby that sued the Panthers for making him practice in the off season last year. I am sure if Dave didn't get hurt he would have been A ok.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

what does cleeland have to do with LSU?

9. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

Well he was picked lord knows when not first round im sure and he sucked. But I guess he had nothing to do w/LSU. I was just matching the two. Goes to show you that you never know what your going to get.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

lol sourdough, is this one of your personalities?