3-0 Tigers 2nd inning

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TwistedTiger, Mar 9, 2004.

1. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

6-1 Final. Tiger pitchers limit Indians to 4 hits on the night.

2. lsucurlyq

lsucurlyq Founding Member

Wow this team continues to amaze me more and more each time I watch them. Get ready guys, it's going to be a great season :grin:
    :tigbas: :lsup: :tigbas:

3. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

Mestepey

I think if Mestepey is not up to speed by this weekend, Dirks is going to get the start on Saturday versus South Carolina. My buddy said he was throwing only about 83, and Houston was pounding him for it. The only problem is if Lane doesn't get ot 100%, Smoke will have to demote a popular fan favorite.

4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Mestepay has never been a real hard thrower and I think Smoke will try to let him work through it early in the season and see how he responds but you may be right. :lsug: :geaux: :champs:

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

lane will not be benched, he is the team leader and needs innings, period. that is what this non-conference is all about. they have no worries about his ability and when he was throwing his hardest as a freshman it was 87 or so....hence the maddux-esque comparisons. he will be ok.... i hope.

6. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Hopefully, Mestepey will be fine with more work. Dirks performance thus far is going to give Smoke lots to think about with his weekend rotation. I won't be shocked to see the following weekend rotation in a couple of weeks:

Friday - Mestepey
    Saturday - Bumstead or Meier
    Sunday - Dirks

College baseball hitters don't see a lot of good lefties on the mound, so they struggle more against them. Going lefty-righty-lefty could create havoc. I'm leaning towards having Meier in the bullpen b/c I think he has more ability than Bumstead to come in throwing strikes. Bumstead seems to take a few batters before he gets in a groove.

Meier and Determann in relief gives us another lefty/righty option out of the bullpen. Not sure what's going on with Nall, but if he can get healthy we could have a real closer for the first time in many years.

If Mestepey does struggle and don't make it all the way back, then Smoke would insert Dirks on Saturdays.

And what a way to start the SEC off with South Carolina on the road ... that'll be tough to take 2 out 3.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

We have more pitching depth than I can remember us having in quite a while and the guys are throwing strikes. Lane is a control pitcher and the reason he got blasted the other day is he couldn't spot his pitches down and away according to Liuzza and Laval, get getting the ball up and catching too much of the plate. i think he'll round into form as he throws more. Would be helpful if his fastball can get up into the mid to high 80's though so that the change up is more effective.

8. lsucurlyq

lsucurlyq Founding Member

I agree. They're not going to bench Lane because he needs the work. He's a little rusty from not pitching for a whole year, he just has to build back up, that's all. :tigbas: :lsup: :tigbas: