49'ers @ Saints

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by diamondheadtiger, Nov 17, 2013.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

breaking ribs is fine, and that's why you need to hit them there because you may in fact break some ribs and take the opposing qb out of the game

2. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

risk are involved in football, they dont protect running backs or any other position, just Qbs and receivers to an extent, it seems unfair to me.

3. islstl

Because nobody wanted to see Tolzien go up against the Giants last Sunday.

There is your answer.

4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

so its the WWE, like the NBA finals, gotcha.

5. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

I wonder how bad the Jabari Greer injury is going to affect the Saints. Can't be good.

6. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Yeah, not many shut down corners available now. I saw where they signed a 7th round pick of the Browns yesterday. Can't even remember his name.

7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I thinks its because those two positions, at two distinct points, are the only ones where they are completely vulnerable. Defensive players, offensive linemen and ballcarriers are able to focus on what is happening around them, brace for contact or deliver it themselves. The QB in the pocket and the receiver preparing for the catch can not do that; their focus has to be on either making the throw or the catch. So I can see protecting them, and also a punt returner waiting on the ball - the league should not have rescinded the halo rule. But, using the ability to protect one's self as the determining factor, there is no logical reason to give special protection to a quarterback who leaves the pocket and runs with the ball, unless the baseball slide rule applies to any ballcarrier. Can't picture Pierre Thomas taking a slide, though.

LSUMASTERMIND likes this.
  8. islstl

Gotta remember that White is playing at a very high level lately and should fill in nicely for Greer. If you compare Greer vs Lewis, Lewis has been the shutdown corner for this team, getting the duty of defending the opposing team's best receiver. If Lewis would have gone down, I would have been really worried.

Also remember the Saints are fortunate to have 2 really good cover safeties in Jenkins and Vaccaro, so that either one of those players can cover the slot receiver for much of the entirely of a ball game. Add in the veteran Carr who has been playing really well.

To review:

CB1 = Lewis
    CB2 = White
    Slot/Nickel = Jenkins/Vaccaro
    Dime = Jenkins/Vaccaro/Carr

Harper is back so that allows us to use either Jenkins or Vaccaro or both in nickel/dime packages. Bush has been very good filling in for Harper at strong safety.

Bottom line is when Greer went down EARLY in the ballgame, nothing changed on defense. We held San Francisco to 127 yards passing and 15 yards passing in the 4th quarter.

9. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Yes, I agree with everything here, but I was talking more in terms of depth as we gear up for the stretch of our schedule and ultimately the playoffs.

10. islstl

If no one gets hurt, then I just gave you the entire depth chart. No one would really see the field except for garbage time.

I do agree we need to go out and get a veteran like Carr that can play sound defense. I don't want to see Sweeting be called into action.