4th and 2, and you run the option?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerEducated, Oct 12, 2003.

1. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

The execution was off all day, and I understand that this game was lost long before we ever got to that point, but correct me if I'm wrong here...

Are we an option team? Have we EVER used the option as more than a "keep you honest" type of set that we mix in merely to throw off opposing teams?

Did we not almost throw the damn ball away against Georgia, and then again yesterday before Addai was injured?

Have we all not noticed that LSU is not exactly effective in pitching the ball, the location of the pitch, and the timing of the pitch itself?

The option was only run as a means of "keeping a defense honest" and giving them one more thing to prepare for. When it was run, it was not run well by this offense...

Then WHY in the WORLD are we running the option on 4th and 2?

I think that-in a nutshell-explains our trouble yesterday...PLAYCALLING.

Our wide receivers were the bright spot yesterday, and they weren't very bright at that...They missed reads, they didn't break off routes, the tight ends gave up on routes (Edwards gave up on one that was costly, as it would have gone a LONG way), etc...

But, they played VERY well. Skyler Green played excellent, and we did somewhat get the ball in his hands. Clayton probably would have played well, but was NEVER given the ball on target. Devery was never gone to as he should have been.

We NEVER vertically challenged the field when we should have, only when it was too late.

The bad thing is, Jimbo actually called plays to do just that. The problem came in Mauck not even TRYING to look down the field. Here lies the big question mark that surrounded his ability at quarterback...Can Mauck vertically challenge our opponents through the air?

Yesterday, he didn't even bother to try, he never looked off safeties, rarely progressed past his first read, acted as if he never heard of a third receiver, he locked in on receivers, he was inaccurate with his throws, and he reminded me of the Matt Mauck that played against Viriginia Tech in 2002, not the one that played steadily since then.

Our offensive playcalling showed NO confidence in Justin Vincent, and that's disappointing. I looked for him to have a breakout game. With Addai STILL not hitting the holes quite quickly enough, and with Vincent catching out of the backfield SO well, I would have thought he could have broken out.

Instead, our coaching staff on offense called such a timid game that when it was apparent that Mauck was cracking under pressure and just played a p!ss poor game, that we would just allow ourselves to go down with the ship along with him.

Our defense-I think-played VERY well. Again, playcalling was to blame for our problems.

Their initial touchdown-which is the first one all year against our defense in the 1st half-should never have occurred. The first of many silly penalties occurred, and then a pattern began...

Florida went to quick snaps, no huddle, check with me at the line playcalling. This didn't allow us to substitute based on down, distance, and offensive personnel packages Florida was using. Problem #1 with our defensive playcalling is that we didn't react at ALL on the first drive. It was readily apparent that the Crocodiles were doing this-to many around us-and elsewhere in the stadium.

The next thing that should have been adjusted to was the actual plays that were being called. 3 and 5 step drops, and once again-what plagued us last year at home in the 1st half against South Carolina-the dreaded shotgun draw and the delayed draw were Florida's bread and butter.

What did LSU to combat this? Steadily call blitzes over and over again, in an attempt to rattle Leak. If you're not going to get to him because he's getting the ball away with short drops, why bother blitzing? Why not just sit back and run base defense, jump on the short routes, and sit on the hot reads, until Leak and Zaunbrecher and Zook go back to a normal substitution pattern, or develop a new plan of attack on the fly, if we have such a defensive wizard of a coach?

We STILL played decently on defense, if you ask me. We sacked them and had him SERIOUSLY confused for most of the day. Without the help of the check with me audibles, they don't have nearly the success they did. But, that's a moot point.

The only problem I saw was the final scoring drive for Florida. 3rd downs of 9, 16 and 21 yards, all converted, and one 3rd down conversion for a touchdown...

The team played poorly, our offense was never in sync. But, the problem came from us being totally outcoached, rather than us being outplayed.

I have to hand it to Ron Zook. They just schemed what any good staff would to combat a defense like LSU's. They did NOTHING on offense that should have befuddled us, but it did.

The out-coaching came not because they were superior, but because when we didn't react on defense in a proper manner from a playcalling standpoint, our coaching staff called an inferior game in comparison.

Jimbo, Saban, and specifically, Matt Mauck, all played major roles. I'm not trying to call Mauck out, but I guess I am...His ineffectual play cost us the game, though I will take him 364 days out of the year in the long run...Just not yesterday...

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I think they should've had a run-pass type of option.

They should've had Mauck roll out further, use the whole side
    of the field and try to pass as the linebackers come closer
    to guard against the run, he could've passed or then ran for
    the 1st down.

Kinda like John Elway or Jake Plummer can do.

3. StarscreamLSU

StarscreamLSU Founding Member

I personally think we should drop the option. Has it every really worked for us?

4. SpringTiger

SpringTiger Founding Member

As I recall, it last worked pretty well when Herb Tyler was the QB. Remember THAT game against #1 Florida? Mauck was once known as a run first, pass second type of QB. I don't necessarily long for those days, but I believe it's a great advantage in college football to have a QB who can run well. It helps to keep the defense honest, and, I mean, remember that SECCG against Tennessee?

Is MM no longer as good a runner as he was before the foot injury? Perhaps that is the case, but it seems like the option should work - the Tigers just don't execute it properly. It's just another play in the play book and I see no reason they couldn't have occasional success with it even if it isn't their base offense. That being said, I disagreed with the call on the 4th down. I too would have liked to see Mauck roll out with a run/pass (perhaps to the tight end or running back) option.

:geaux:

5. mgreer1

mgreer1 Founding Member

Maybe I am blind or have not been paying enough attention, but have we ran the delayed QB sneak out of the shotgun this year. It seemed to be very effective last year with Mauck.

:geaux:

6. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

AMEN PREACH ON BROTHER.

My point exactly. Fisher had a miserable game and Saban should have realized that and made a change.

7. Sourdoughman

I also thought when the game started,

Why don't we take the
    ball the 2nd half and put the strong part of our team, defense on the field first with the offense struggling?

We might get better field position or a turnover to start the game
    and maybe help out the offense!

I would do this as long as the offense struggles!!!

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

When they chose to receive the first half kickoff they didn't know that the offense was going to struggle.

9. Sourdoughman

The offense has struggled in the first half against Georgia and
    now the Whole Fla game

10. Tiger Dabbs

Tiger Dabbs T.D.

OK, sour---man...(how fitting), have the tigers done anything 'decent' in your eyes this year?? All I have heard is negativity since you came on board. Can you see any bright spots? please enlighten us...