4th and two, what do you do??

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Hawker45, Feb 28, 2006.

1. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Yeah....such moves were common place and accepted back then. Those types of moves would be considered "gutless" in today's game (which was the point I was trying to get across).

2. clair

clair Rockets

im sorry, but if your offense is so sorry that you dont even have enough faith to run a draw on 3rd down, without having to worry about diseaster, then you don't deserve a title

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

What do you do? Run a fake field goal, of course! :grin:

4. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

What you do is put Broussard at RB and Big Herm at fullback and run full speed ahead!

If you cant get it then, you have problems!

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

The draw play only works against the Saints.

6. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I think all football teams should do as I do in Play Station.
    Never punt or kick a field goal. Ever.

I dont even think I have a punter...

7. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I'm a big fan of playing to win, nothing is worse than seeing a team play not to lose(see Saints). However their should be a little more than some % success formula put into the decision to go or not.

8. MCab

MCab Founding Member

Back in the 40s, they didn't have the sophisticated offenses and strength and conditioning programs that we have today to make it on 4th and short.

Also, locoguano, those are valid things to consider, but I really feel that an "n" of 700 groups in this study would take those things out in the wash. In other words, a sampling group that large would cover such things. But, an analysis of the data may show a correlation that supports what you're saying.

Still, I have always believed that you should err on the side of attack, simply b/c intangibles win the day. Yes, training and personnel matter, but as Napoleon said "the moral outnumbers the physical like three outnumbers one."

Yes, maybe the conventional and "safest" decision seems best to most coaches, but most coaches don't win championships. Also, I don't think a coach should worry about what the fans think, they're not the ones up all night studying film.

9. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

It depends on a lot of things...

First, what's the score? Home or away? What possession is it? Has a certain play been working so far? Has the D been stunting on short yardage? What is the tendency of their goal line D?

If it's the first possession, you don't want to put a good drive together (say a 70 yd drive) and come up short.

If your're up 7-0, I would go for a FG, 10-0.

If you're up 3-0, I would go for a TD, 10-0.

if you're down, depends on how much, you want to keep your team within striking distance. Don't want to get too far behind.

If it's high school ball, I would probably go far it everytime, despite the score, possession, home or away, etc.