5 Thoughts on Spring Ball and why LSU has a chance for greatness next season

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by T-Time, Mar 11, 2011.

1. T-Time

T-Time Never Satisfied

Scout.com: CFN SEC Bloggers: 5 Thoughts On LSU?s Spring

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

That's a LOT of leadership gone right there. I think it's gonna take some time for the new D to gel despite the returning talent. Things will look rosy in spring and fall practice, but fellows, we're in the SEC !! (And play a tough OOC schedule.)

I'm worried about stopping Oregon...you know, the team with all those recruiting connections in Texas. :wink:

3. gely33

gely33 Here I Stand

Peterson- Peterson will not be hard to replace mathieu is a player.

Sheppard- Sheppard was merely solid. I believe we will get faster at the position.

Nevis- well I always felt he was a buy overrated if we can get some weight in downs I think he will be awesome. However at the end of the day we have tons of talent at that position.

My biggest concern is o-line I feel that unit has underachieved for years.

4. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

Jesus, some people just don't get it. Mathieu is a hell of a player. His playmaking ability is off the charts, but this statement is insane.

5. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Yeah, good to get rid of all that dead weight up the middle.
    I submit 3 big reasons why LSU needs to find an offense, quick.

6. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

I think the freak comes in and has a season to match tyrann's freshman year last year. The freak may very well be sec freshman of the year next year.

7. NavyTiger

NavyTiger dunn dunn it all

Yeah the previous statement was ridiculous. Tyrann does create turnovers and is a savage, but he doesn't have the cover skills as Peterson. They are both great players but Tyrann cannot replace P.P.

1 person likes this.
  8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I tend to agree. But we are deep in young DB's. Someone will step up.

9. kluke

kluke Founding Member

The only response I can come up with to this post is

:huh::huh::huh::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

10. Brian

Brian Founding Member

Patrick Peterson made everyone on the defense better with his cover skills, his leadership, and the way he carried himself on the field. He was a professional playing in college who felt the ball was always his if it was thrown anywhere near him.

His biggest asset I felt was his returns last season given we had such a struggling offense and so many talented kids in the secondary. Two years ago we got burned when Patrick went down and Julio Jones took it the distance. That would not have happened last year and wouldn't this year. We have a ton of young guys with tremendous ability.

Kelvin Sheppard was a monster. He put everyone in the right place and was spectacular in the sense that he does everything very well. He was easy to miss because he's a smooth player and was also an outstanding leader. Guys in the middle who set everyone up and make sure the guys are in the right spots and then makes tackle after tackle often can be overlooked but never should be undervalued. Chavis said Kelvin's the smartest LB he's ever coached. I'd love to see the Saints acquire him.

Drake Nevis showed flashes of being dominant, and that was really what excited a lot of us. Sadly, though, there were times when Drake would go long stretches without making an impact. He never played poorly I thought, but he had some stretches of merely adequate play which isn't good enough given he has the talent to impose himself more often. Again we have a lot of young talent returning here.

The biggest loss in my view is Sheppard not only due to the lack of depth there compared to corner and defensive tackle but also due to his rapport with Chavis, his leadership, and his very high football IQ..