5 Thoughts on Spring Ball and why LSU has a chance for greatness next season

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by T-Time, Mar 11, 2011.

1. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

Just waring his purple and gold glasses. Can't say I agree with his assessment of those players, but I'm sure his optimism will be welcomed around here in the fall.

2. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Sorry but saying one of the best football players ever to play for LSU is not hard to replace is not looking thru purple and gold glasses, hes gotta be looking thru crack smoke.

1 person likes this.
  3. gely33

gely33 Here I Stand

Well after they play the first six or so games we can have this convo again.

4. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

The truth is somewhere in the middle. Those are all big losses, but we are a far cry from needing to be carried by the offense. I think overall, the defense will be improved in as many positions as there is a drop off, hopefully resulting in what amounts to a wash. All three of those guys will be missed for sure, though.

5. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

So am I the only person hoping Mathieu does not take the DB spot vacated by PP? I mean he's a player and I think he will get as many downs as a starter, but his ability to blitz from that nickle/slot position changes the way we call plays. The defense has to account for him...which is another reason why, late in the season on TM blitz's, he was never alone. Accounting for him frees up somebody. Don't change that unless you have someone who replaces what he brings.

He does everything very well, but I think taking him away from his role this past season will be a mistake. The only times I ever saw him struggle was in coverage. He got burned a couple of times, but such is the life a DB. Can't win em all. He reminds me of Bob Sanders from a size and ability standpoint. Let's just hope he's not as brittle...

1 person likes this.
  6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

nope, you aren't the only one. He should either be moved to safety, or continue to play that roving nickel position. The one area he was exposed in was covering past 20 yards.

7. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

:geaux: Agree with this 100%. :thumb: Tyrann is able to wreak havoc and create more misery for an offense as is in the nickle and other packages. I'd rather see Simon take PP's spot if possible and Mathieu stay where he's at. :LSU231:

8. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

Word.

9. 1BIGTIGER

1BIGTIGER Founding Member

+2

10. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

I think LSU will have success next season but NC aspirations will be very tough because the schedule is just brutal. In addition to opening with Oregon, LSU has road trips to State, W. Virginia, Bama, Tenn and Ole Miss. Not to mention home clashes with Florida, Auburn and Arkansas. It'll be very difficult for LSU to traverse that schedule unscathed but if they do they'll definitely be in the NC mix.