60's Rock Trivia

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by HatcherTiger, Jul 17, 2006.

1. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Without using Wikipedia or google, based on my knowledge, I can recount these:

Dig a Pony
    Don't let me Down
    Get Back
    I've got a feeling

I have the DVD, but can't recall the other four they played on the rooftop....Are you sure they were all played live on the rooftop?

2. DallasLSU

Here is a Beatle's question for you:

John Lennon's song, "And your bird can sing" from Revolver was supposedly directed at a contemporary of Lennon's...Who was it?

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Trick question! Five songs on the film/LP, three retakes, one song fragment = nine!

Get Back (rehearsal)
    Get Back
    Don't Let me Down
    I've Got a Feelin'
    One after 909
    Danny Boy (fragment, Lennon only)
    Dig a Pony
    I've got a Feelin' (take 2, not released)
    Don't Let me Down (take 2, not released)

"Thank you brothers, it's too cold to play the chords" -- Lennon

4. red55

Supposedly Mick Jagger, although neither Lennon nor Jagger have confirmed this. Lennon later said he thought it was his worst song after "I Dig a Pony".

I rather liked it. I Dig a Pony wasn't that bad either, but we were on drugs . . .

"Mr. Moonlight" was his worst song in my book. Hash couldn't improve it a bit. What a dog.

5. DallasLSU

I like Dig a Pony too. Lennon hated that and "And your bird your can sing." I don't understand his distaste either.

Interestingly, Lennon was quoted as saying that he thought McCartney's work on Revolver was his best, in particular "Got to get you into my life."

Red, let's see if I can get you with a hard one:

(After the Beatles broke up) What singer did John Lennon say Paul McCartney reminded him of? (A hint: it wasn't a compliment.)

6. Broke

Broke Founding Member

I have a funny story about the Beatles. I was in Belize in 1996 on a TOD that put us on base with the Scottish Black Watch and the British Army. We were at a bar with a bunch of the English when a Beatles song came on. They started screaming and yelling "THE BEATLES, THE BEATLES" About 5 minutes later and tons of Belikin beer spilled on everyone, the place calmed down again. It was surreal, in a very bad way.

disclaimer: I think this was a flashback.

7. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Well I have a book by Mark Lewisohn called: "THE BEATLES RECORDING SESSIONS The Official Abbey Road Studio Sesson Notes 1962 - 1970". The entry for Thursday January 30, 1969 reads: "Apple Studios (Roof), 3 Savile Row, London W1: time unknown. Recording: 'Get Back' (two versions); 'Don't Let Me Down'; 'I've Got A Feeling'; 'The One After 909'; 'Dig A Pony'; 'God Save The Queen'; 'I've Got A Feeling'; 'Don't Let Me Down'; 'Get Back'. P: George Martin. E: Glyn Johns. 2E: Alan Parsons. " There is a reference but not in the official notes to John reciting, at the end of "The One After 909, a line from Conway Twitty's 1959 US hit "Danny Boy". The entire "roof" recording lasted 42 minutes. The actual Lennon quote you refer to above is "Thank you brothers ... hands too cold to play the chords" after "Dig A Pony." While waiting for Alan Parsons to change the first tape which was full, The Beatles and Billy Preston strummed through a version of "God Save The Queen", the new tape caught a few seconds of the song but it was not released on record or seen in the film. Of course, John Lennon ends the "concert" with the famous words: " I'd like to say 'thank you' on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition ! "

I'm not sure if the book is still in print but it is very interesting if you're a Beatles fan.

Of course, I love every note of music played and every word sung by The Beatles intentionally, unintentionally or otherwise, however, my least favorite song is "Taxman"

8. DallasLSU

Really??? I love Taxman. It's got such great lyrics. "There's one for you, nineteen for me."

Hatcher, I may have to read that one. I read a book on an overseas flight called "The Beatles" by Hunter Davies. The book was started as a book in '67 to chronicle an in depth look at the Beatles. Davies ended up re-writing it in the 70's, then in again in the '80's. What's interesting about the book, is that Davies became a friend of the Beatles in the process and became one of the few outsiders that the Beatles let inside his circle. It's a great read...

9. red55

No clue. Hatcher will know. He's never been stumped on Beatles trivia.

10. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

Any song which Yoko sang a part would have to be Lennon's worst song.