60's Rock Trivia

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by HatcherTiger, Jul 17, 2006.

1. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

It was Paul. Epstein didn't move out of London, but I was only thing of the four "musical" beatles. Epstein had a flat in the very chic Belgravia and that is also where he died. He had a country home, so maybe that's what you are thinking about. He was actually supposed to be out at his country home with Peter Brown, but got depressed (they think) and stayed in his bed in London, where they found him dead...

Not sure who exactly it was, but I know they were the "silver beatles" before that. Who decided to shorten it, I'm not sure. I'd guess Lennon or Epstein. Lennon was the leader of the band at the time and Epstein was in charge of their image, so my guess is one of those...

I do think that Lennon takes credit for the "Silver Beatles" change from the quarrymen...

2. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

I have read that John takes credit for the name "Beatles" coming to him in a dream. But I have also read that is not accurate and that Stu Sutcliffe came up with a name as a "take" on Buddy Holly and the Crickets. Who knows what is correct. They also went by "Johnny and the Moondogs" at some point.

3. DallasLSU

I've heard the same exact thing about the Crickets. I think John told Hunter Davies the same thing about wanting to sound like Buddy Holly. Not sure who take credit for it though...

Question: Who was considered the "reluctant Beatle?"

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Obviously Harrison.

Who was the fifth beatle? This is a trick question. I want all four answers.

5. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

But I assume not at the same time. LOL

6. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Talk about Rock in the 50's and 60's, someone really needs to make a film on the Brill Building. If done right it could be terrific.

7. DallasLSU

Yes definitely Harrison. He was very unsure of what had happened to him through the Beatles and conveyed to several people how much he wished he had lead a normal life....

I mean, I don't know if there is an official "fifth beatle" list, but here are the people who are consistently thrown in as being very intimate with the beatles, musically:

1) Brian Epstein
    2) Billy Preston
    3) George Martin
    4) Stu Sutcliffe
    5) Some even say Yoko Ono since she was guiding John in the late '60's, even in his music

8. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Now that would have been a story !!

9. red55

10. red55

And the Answer is . . . Disk jockey Murray the "K"! He was the one who coined the phrase and called himself the 5th Beatle. Don't worry, you can't win this question.

Drummer Jimmy Nichol who filled in for an ill Ringo on one tour is also mentioned.

Pete Best has a better claim than any of the above since he was actually a Beatle.

But technically the 5th Beatle has to be Sutcliff since he was actually in the band when they were a five man band. And they became a four-man band upon his departure.