65 Yards Passing

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by dallastigers, Nov 17, 2002.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

All good points but...

Randall just is not a good QB. No blame just fact.

2. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

Sabanfan you are missing the whole point. I am sorry. I guess you will just never get it. I am finished with you.

3. SabanFan

I am not dense

Your entire premise is that with all our talent, it's inconceivable that only 65 yards were gained through the air. Therefore, you surmise, it must be coaching, specifically the offensive coordinator. You think he is overrated, is a fine coach, just not the genius he's cracked up to be. You don't feel we should blame the lack of offensive production on the young players and that the coaches should be held responsible. I get your point. I just happen to disagree. Can we disagree without being disagreeable?

4. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

Dallas I think its you not getting the point....

Marcus Randall should have gone with his first instincts and gone to Southern....he probably will when Next Fall when Matt Mauck is the the Starting QB, and When Robert Lane is the backup provided that he is there....Marcus Randall is NOT an SEC quarterback as proven last night...39 yards on 6-17 throwing is something I would expect out of a Junior High QB....he had about 7 passes where he had open ppl and he either Overthrew them or Underthrew them....and plus the cruical fumble after we were trying to gain the momentum....Personally I believe we will not win another game even the Bowl Game with Marcus Randall at quarterback...when he gets scared he starts runnin out of the pocket and then launches it 50 yards downfield into Double and Triple Coverage....Its very sad when your school's best two quarterbacks are still in high school, and that is exactly the situation LSU finds itself in.....I wouldn't also be suprised to find out that game cost us a few Recruits as well....Last night was the first time I was EVER embarrased to be in Tiger Stadium...I hope that Coach Saban pulls Randall and Puts In Clausen and give him a chance to throw some....I don't really think he is the answer either but he HAS got to be Better than Marcus...All Coach Saban asks Randall is NOT to put us in a position to lose, and he can't even do that...ok I am done ranting

5. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Can't quite blame Fisher

Jimbo has had success on a consistent basis. MR has had very little. I agree that a QB can make an offensive coordinator look better (Ro last year) or worse (Sat. night). Also, coaching goes a long in way in how a QB plays. In this case, it seems as though the QB is the primary reason why the offense is struggling.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It may be a moot point, guys.

Next year Randall will be at Southern and Jimbo Fisher will likely have a head coaching offer. Who knows what the OC and QB will be like next year.

This year we have Jimbo and I'll take him! He a proven winner. He doesn't have much to work with at QB, but I agree, It's time to work with what we've got and if it takes getting in a full house backfield and running the power-I or the wishbone, then so be it.

7. Tiger Dabbs

Tiger Dabbs T.D.

Not sure where to place the blame...

but Saturday night, everytime we had 3rd down MR threw a bomb. Why not just go for the first down. Was it MRs decision to go to the deep guy, or did the OC call for the deep play. It looked like MR was thinking he would throw a "miracle" on every third down.

8. SabanFan

I heard it was MR going deep on his own.

9. Tiger Trey

Tiger Trey Founding Member

I'm not gonna bash Fisher...

He's proven himself over the last few years. Any little flaws I may think were in his gameplan certainly aren't the reason we lost.

However, I sometimes feel like we don't run the ball enough. In the second quarter it appeared that our OL was knocking Bama's DL off the line a good portion of the time and Toe, Addai, and DD had running room. They were ripping off 8 yard gains rather consistently. Instead of the old "we're gonna run this play until ya stop it" (forgive my old school attitude) philosophy, we are trying trick plays and having Marcus fling the ball all over the yard. I think we should have kept pounding the ball. That's what BAMA would (and did) do!

Again, I'm not blaming Jimbo because I think that BAMA would have eventually adjusted and slowed down our RBs. Our D falling apart right before the half and inconsistent QB play doomed our chances.

Hats off to BAMA !! I just love the way they play the game. Think about it. How many flashy superstar types do you ever notice at Bama? No one ever sticks out IMV. But they are all solid players with tremendous depth all over the chart. And they play good defense.

10. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Trey if you read the Advocate today

Those third down bombs are explained. Saban indicated that they had scripted fewer plays so that Randall would not have to carry the team. Said Randall had a tendancy to try to carry too much of the responsibility rather than play within his game. Randall admitted, that once the ball is snapped, he tended to resort back to making a big play. He said if he saw the opportunity for a big play he took it. Unfortunately he is the only one on the team that sees the opportunity. He constantly throws into double and triple coverage.