70 k minimum salary

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by shane0911, Apr 16, 2015.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Oh, the irony.

shane0911 likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

That's because the money is misspent or mishandled by incompetent or crooked politicians. Texas has relatively low taxes but they manage to have good roads and quality education.

3. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

hilarious

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

@StaceyO might take exception to this

5. LSUMASTERMIND

she can and i would still find it hilarious, her schools or experiences might lend to her believing that the Texas education is exceptional and she wouldnt be wrong. But the numbers of the overall Texas education tell a different story, with Texas being in the bottom 15.

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I looked at half a dozen different studies that rank state's public education. Depending on what factor(s) or systems, Texas ranks anywhere from #17 overall to #39. If you look at this study out of Montana, Stacey would likely be in agreement...
    http://www.msubillings.edu/caer/quality_rankings_of_education_in.htm
    In terms of teacher quality, Texas ranks #1 and yet, they are 20 in terms of "output". This study has Texas ranked at 18 with an overall "C-" which turns out to be average.
    http://www.alec.org/publications/report-card-on-american-education/
    And this one has them ranked at 39.
    http://educationblog.dallasnews.com...nks-39th-in-nation-on-education-ranking.html/

What's telling about that last one is what is probably a big factor in a low ranking. Almost 40% of the population in Texas according to the 2014 census, is Hispanic. They don't send kids to school early or regularly through high school.

7. LSUMASTERMIND

All things have to be relevant in the overall ranking. not saying you cant get a great education out of Texas, but overall the ranking is poor to me. Just like Louisiana, I believe I received a great education out of Louisiana, as early as early childhood education. But overall, boy that ranking is pathetic.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

When I said education I was referring to the universities in Texas that have plenty of money compared to Louisiana

9. LSUMASTERMIND

say thank you Jindal 3 times in the mirror

red55 likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Yes, taxes are lower in Louisiana than a lot of other places but you missed my point. The percentage of a person's income taken by the various govenments is way too high no matter where you live. When the 16th amendment imposing income taxes became law the maximum rate was 3% and even that only on the very wealthiest of Americans. Now a person with a middle class income pays from 20% to 35% just in taxes to the federal govenment, in addition to any state or local income taxes. Not to mention other forms of taxes. Buy a $30,000 car in Baton Rouge where the sales tax is 9% and get ready to pony up an additional $2700 plus your license and registration fees. Drive 15,000 miles a year at 20 miles to the gallon and you are spending another $600 or $700 in gasoline taxes. Look at your cell phone bill. Lots of little taxes on that one from a few cents to $4 or $5. Nickels and dimes but it all adds up.

Sure, we have to pay for the services we get but way too much of our tax money is wasted on entitlements and paying bureaucrats