85-86 VS 05-06 team.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by olVENICEdog, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Victory4LSU

Victory4LSU Founding Member

once again olvenicedog proves he knows very little about LSU sports, life and in general.

2. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

I was at that final 4 in Dallas and loved that team... In my opinion, the teams were similar in the type of talent that they had.. good point guard.. huge guy that could score.. and I think Tasmin reminds me alot of Don Redden.

3. jjbodean1970

jjbodean1970 Founding Member

you mean when they had to play 4 road games in 5 days cause of that little problem....

4. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Well, you said the 86 team was not a very good team as their record shows. I am talking about the sec schedule. Was wondering if you knew of the contributing factor to several of those regular season losses..... ? :tigerhead

They were 14-0 and ranked #8 in the nation before this "factor" came into play..... Actually they dropped to 14-2 and 14th before this.... but you get the idea.. Obviously a good quality team.

5. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Yes. I could not let him slide on that. He was saying the team was not very good. Then claimed to be good friends with Redden. If so, he should know about this... Heck, if he's a LSU basketball fan he should know this.

Lets see how long it takes him to google a response. :D

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

its a tough call because of the youth of the 05-06 team. if they performed more consistently, i'd easily go with the current team.

also, if you are talking about the 85-86 team without zoran and nikita and the 05-06 team with a healthy TT, then easier to go with 05-06 team.

i'd take cjb over dale.

while williams would probably get his, the 85-86 team would have a tougher time with GD than the 05-06 team would have with williams. in the end it comes down the 85-86 team getting shut down by a better D. if the 05-06 team isnt in a funk (basically that means dmitch) theyd score more.

7. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

8. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Ok, olVENICE...I'm ATTEMPTING to have a rational discussion with you (try not to blow it)....

Now, I don't remember all the "details" of Dale Brown's career except for the obvious--W-L record as head coach (I was in 9th grade when Shaq was at LSU), and the dominant players he's brought through the LSU program, but I have heard people claim that Dale Brown was unparralleled as a recruiter, but was below average as an "x's and o's" coach. That arguement could probably be supported by the fact that with Shaq, Roberts and Chris Jackson, Dale Brown quite possibly should have had one national title and a few Final Fours during that time....but he didn't.

So, playing a little Devil's advocate, is Dale Brown head-and-shoulders better than Brady? B/C it seems to me that both Brown and Brady have got their share of hardline antagonists. It could be said that in a number of seasons, Dale Brown had much better players (or a better collection of players on the same team) than what Brady has had during his time here....yet with all that superior talent, Brown never won a National Title.

9. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

This is what I found. I intended to say MVP of the southeast regional excuse me I was just going off of memory.

Redden was the MVP of the NCAA Southeast Regional with 42 points in the two games -- 27 in the 70-64 win over Georgia Tech and 15 in the 59-57 win over Kentucky along with one big, textbook, touch-pass assist to Ricky Blanton for the winning points in the final seconds.

http://feeds.batonrougenews.net/?rid=c88ea846f0453996&cat=3a72c8badb1b144e&f=1

10. TigerInTally

TigerInTally Founding Member

Also, I'd like to throw this one out there for consideration as well. Dale Brown's teams didn't even get a sniff at the NCAA Tourny until his 7th season at LSU. I'll admit that once he finally got there, he had decent success in getting back to the tourny in following years. But he had quite a few years where we didn't get past the first or second round.

He also saddled us with probation. Would Brown have lasted as long coaching at LSU now as he did back then? Or would you have been constantly calling for his head?