9/11 families

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by SabanFan, May 20, 2004.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Sorry, but they got a huge chunk of it. Read the book AFTER . It'll amaze you how quickly a lot of them were lining up at the trough.

2. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

That is why I donated nothing. I sort of had an idea that it would be grossly over funded and abused, and that the victims would be held in higher esteem than ordinary everyday victims. I mean I feel for them BUT..................... No one seems to donate when a teen gets hit by a drunk driver somewhere in Illoinois or the cop in memphis that has a kid on the way when he got shot by drug dealers. Who gives to these victims? Just because you lost loved ones in ANY type of catastrophic event does NOT make you eligible for special treatment. Sure if some desire to give monetary funds to help their plight, I congradualte them. Everyone has a right to give to their fav charity.

Personally, I donate to the church, that way I am pretty sure what the funds go to. Of course the REAL spirit of giving is that you do it gladly, not concerned with how it is used. then if they abuse it, it's on them. I'm not sure I agree with that entirely, kind of opens the door for misuse.

To me if I got rich off the death of a loved one in something THAt horrific the money would be tainted or at the least painful, although I'm sure I could find a way to spend it wisely. :wink:

they seem pretty bitter, as anyone would be, I guess money doesn't cure EVERYTHING.

I guess they have as much right to speak out politically as anybody. It's too bad the media loves dirty laundry so much, they just want some axe to grind and the media plays into it.

I don't see them intervieing the family that is doing better and has nothing but praise for the way things were handled. considering the size of NYC and the hienous nature of this crime, I'd say everyone did a wonderful job.

someone is always going to be bitter forever about losing a loved one, it's understandable.

I agree with Saban fan I sympathize with them and I want to hear their story, but if they want to start with a bunch of political mumbo jumbo based on their 9/11 plight then I'd tune out. I dont mind listening to their opinion based on just plain old being a citizen though.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

The 9/11 widow I met through e-mail is apparently very well-off financially following 9/11, though her husband was 30 years old and a VP of an international finance firm. So, he probably had lots of life insurance, etc., and they had both traveled the world extensively prior to his untimely death.

In one article I read about her on the website Iloveyoustill.com, she referred to the government money she and her infant daughter received as "the payoff" for her husband's life.

I feel for everyone who lost someone they loved on 9/11. My father lost his childhood best friend in the Pan-Am flight that blew up after takeoff from New Orleans in 1982, and losing a loved one in a huge tragedy does, indeed, add to the grieving process. Dad's friend's funeral had to be moved to the fieldhouse at SLU and over a thousand people showed up to gawk. That sort of sensationalism is something that 9/11 families have had to deal with.

Still, it doesn't give them a right to blame the government for not stopping the attacks. They know about hindsight and fate and chance. How many stories have we heard about people who were just a little late to work that morning? A co-worker's brother-in-law was late getting to the WTC that morning, so he lived to witness the birth of his first child the following spring. Their lives were spared, just as the innocent weren't spared--but through no fault of our government.

4. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

Exactly! You hit the nail on the head. Thank you.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

My Godchild was a Marine helicopter pilot. He flew the "White Top" helicopters at the White House during George H. Bush's presidency. He told me stories about his friend Barbara Bush and weekends at Camp David. He died in a helicopter crash while training a young pilot. His immediate family, including a wife and 2 young children, was devastated but there was no blame (many questions but no blame). All have gotten on with their lives and have only fond memories of Marc.

This is the example that 9/11 survivors must follow. To refer to a financial gift as a "payoff" implies bitterness and blame. I'll bet she didn't turn it down though.

6. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I totally agree SabanFan, How about the Oklahoma City victims or the other
    victims of Americans killed overseas including the soldiers.
    You want to see an outrage, look at what soldiers families KIA get for finacial
    compensation, but thats another story.

BTW.....There are quite a few soldiers killed in training missions over the years just like Marc, they and thier families shouldn't be any less important
    than the 9/11 families.
    The 9/11 families have had it better than any of these other victims!

7. alaman

alaman Founding Member

They need to shut up. They have been paid between $1.5 and 4.5 million dollars. American soldiers wives get $6,000 plus $833 per month until they remarry. Each child gets less than $200 per month until 18. I'm tired of their bitching. Why should taxpayers pay them all that money-no other victim of terror has been paid or should be paid. They are a creation of the liberal press.