90 thousand at Bama?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CoastalNole, Apr 21, 2007.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You might want to save the swagger until it changes, chief. :lol:

I'm astonished that people believe that Bama has some kind of destiny to return to their 1970's dominance. The chances of Bama, or any SEC school, ever having another run like that is pretty damn slim. It's a new league since the 25/85-man scholarship limits.

2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I tend to agree with that, but I also think a good, solid stretch of winning seasons is very possible. Bryant's teams lost 16 games over a 10 year stretch in the 70's vs Stalling's team lost the same number over 7 years.

Different era, no doubt. But, you look at Auburn's success over the last few years, LSU's, USC's, Texas, etc...

Competing for the SEC title is the goal...year in, year out...winning the conference will put you in that national title picture more often than not.

3. khounba

khounba Founding Member

Agreed. But the problem today is that there are so many things that can keep you out of the national title picture. Look at Florida last year and LSU in 2003. We both had to jump through hoops to get into the BCSNC game and we were both SEC champs. Ask your friends from Auburn about it.

4. DRC

DRC TigerNator

The gumpers have the market cornered on delusion Red. I cant tell you how many of my neighbors and associates are utterly convinced that Bama is about to return to the lore of yesteryear. They simply dont have the talent right now to justify that position but blind enthusiasm works wonders to quell subjective reality.

They may be better in the future with Saban but they are a ways off from wining big and an eternity from returning to what they think they have a rightful claim to, which is unprecedented dominance. Laughable actually.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Sure it is. People still rank Bama in the SEC upper tier with LSU, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, and Tennessee. Arkansas and South Carolina would like to move up while Bama is down, but in the long term, Bama will hang with the big boys.

Of course, today you'll just have to be proud of being the College Football Spring Game Fan Attendance Champions. I hear there is a crystal bag of popcorn trophy.

Auburn would make themselves a ring. :grin:

6. Gulf Coast Tige

Gulf Coast Tige Founding Member

Since it was free, I wonder how many first timers were at the game? How many families made their first trip to Tuscaloosa this weekend and caught the game? I bet the crime rate was nothing in the trailer parks during the game.

7. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

:D

8. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Don't hold your breath on that one, Saban has a losing record against Tubby. I don't see that changing.

9. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

:hihi:

10. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

Actually coming out of the spring game there is a movement to have Saban fired. With the game ending the way it did there was 1 win and 1 loss on Saban's record.

Boosters interviewed said that a .500 record wont cut it at Bama.

" For the money were paying we expected both teams to win " one booster said. Hell if i wanted to follow a .500 program i would root for the barners.

Another booster said that he was extremely dissapointed with the referees cause they called all the penalties on Bama and none on the other team. He added " If the Bear was Coach then them there refs would been beaten up after the game" . He then went into a long story about how the Bear had visited his trailer once and he hadnt cleaned it since in his honor.

1 person likes this.