A comparison of interest levels: LSU Basketball - revisted

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerEducated, Jan 30, 2005.

1. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Today's televised game for LSU Women's Hoops on a Sunday drew an actual crowd of...14,256

The men's televised LSU Hoops game Saturday drew...Announced: 10,268

Actual: 7872

You cannot seriously tell me that you think Brady's the right man for the job if the WOMEN's hoops team is outdrawing the men by a 2:1 margin...

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

the way i see it, winning is the job of the coach, attending the games is the job of the community.

i am sure many disagree.

3. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

The men also dont have big ticket give ways like the women do. There is no pack the pmac or no giveaways like today. But, the women still do draw very well. Without the giveaway, they still prolly draw around 5000. Plus, it's a slow weekend too. Still, the number one reason why though is the product. Everyone wants to see a number one team.

4. TigerEducated

martin...I cannot ask you this question since you fear conventional wisdom in any form, so I'll make a statement instead of walking you through this conversation, as I continually try to do...

The point is this:

The community is voting with its collective asses. When you don't see them planted into a seat, ready to jump out and sit on the edge of it, for a men's basketball game, then the community is fulfilling its responsibility to the LSU AD...

They do not care for the product. We need a new one.

5. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

And the two are inextricably intertwined. Unless the fans are dumb/bored/naive.

6. TigerEducated

Or, in martin's case, willfully ignorant in the face of verifiable, factual, first hand information such as he was offered...

7. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

Or maybe people don't go to the games because the sport of basketball sucks. Maybe if refs would start calling Walks I may start watching/attending games. Although I am going to the auburn/LSU game because i hate those bastard auburn tiggers

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

would you fire a coach with a winning program that you liked if nobody attended?

is the opposite true, that you should keep a coach that produces losers if the community shows up for the games?

i dunno the answer, but i know that my opinion is that i would rather the coach coach, and let the community, or the sports marketing dept or whoever handle attendance.

9. TigerEducated

martin, you have an amazing ability to attempt to change the thrust of a post to a point where you're taking stands that have NOTHING to do with the initial thread and posts...

Attendance is an indication of what kind of program you have. When LSU was bringing 40,000 in on Saturday nights, they knew that had a problem with Curley Hallman. When my dad could by 11 tickets or 14 tickets to "Tiger Day" When my sister and I were in HS, you knew that LSU had a problem...

Attendance is a problem if it's lagging.

To address your initial little question, let me ask you this...

If a tree falls in the woods, and no one is there to hear it, does it make a noise? If a light bulb is on in a room, but no one is there to see it on, does it still shine?

Yes, there is a noise, and yes, it does shine...But if no one is there, no one is going to care, nor remember, nor wonder...and that's what those sports are there to do. They're there to teach athletes about sports. About how to participate with class in front of fans, friends, and foes alike. When you are producing winning teams and the attendance is lagging because there isn't a MARKET or a FANBASE, then that's one thing.

But we know the market, and the fanbase is here...They're not showing up for a reason...and we all know what that reason is...Some of us just want to remain WILLFULLY ignorant of those reasons...and I am talking SPECIFICALLY to you when I say willfiully ignorant, Martin...

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

not always. sometimes people attend for no reason and not attend for no reason. for example people will see the cubs even if they suck, while the new jersey devils will play for empty seats while they own the stanley cup.

but, those are different because they are pro sports. they should be treated differently. i am only showing that attendance isnt 100% closely tied to team performance.

it is only my opinion, so it isnt up for debate, but i would rather have an LSU coach win than set attendance records. i see no reason to be critical of brady if he beats a top 25 team and nobody shows. he did his part. i am sure people will show if he continues to win.