A deep look at recruiting leading into 2003 football season...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Purple Jungle, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

I know most LSU fans, myself included, are ecstatic about the way this year's recruiting class is panning out. With this in mind, I took a look at the last few LSU recruiting classes to see how those players are doing and what LSU's future should look like...

CLASS of 2002
    Players signed: 27
    Played last year: 6
    Players lost: 3 (not including J. Vincent)
    Likely to play in 2003: 10-12 (including J. Vincent)

CLASS of 2001
    Players signed: 27
    Played last year: 18
    Players lost: 4
    Likely to play in 2003: 19-21

CLASS of 2000
    Players signed: 30
    Played last year: 11
    Players lost: 13
    Likely to play in 2003: 12-13

Things to notice:
    (1) Look at how good that class of 2001 was! LSU has 23 guys remaining from that class. Upwards of 21 of those players will make the two-deep this year.
    (2) How depleted the Class of 2000 is. This was the "transitional year" between Dinardo and Saban. Half of the class is already gone and never saw playing time at LSU.

But what does it all mean?
    LSU is going to have VERY few seniors in 2003. This year's senior class should be made up of a combination of players from the 1999 and 2000 recruiting classes. As seen above, only half of the 2000 class is left and most of those players redshirted. The 1999 class didn't redshirt many players. Trev Faulk, Bradie James, Demetrius Hookfin, Norman Lejeune, Domanick Davis, John Corbello, and Jerel Myers all played as true freshmen. The only remaining players from that class are Donnie Jones, Rodney Reed, Eric Edwards and Chad Lavalais. The early entry into the NFL by LaBrandon Toefield took another player from that class.

This means that the 2003 LSU team will rely heavily on the recruiting class of 2001. The team will be heavy with juniors and sophomores. With the possible exception of Micheal Clayton, all of these players will be Tigers for at least two more years. This is the group of players that will be looked upon to take LSU to that next level. The Class of 2002, along with incoming freshmen, will be looked upon to fill the holes.

Not even considering beyond 2004, this could be a very, very good next two years for the Tigers.

2. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

Nice analysis. Thanks!

3. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

Great post, Purple Jungle.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

If I read your numbers right, our best talent year may be in 2004. That might mean competing for a top ten position this year with a legitimate shot at the NC in 2004.

....assuming that a quarterback emerges...and Auburn falls apart.

5. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

I think the greatness of the 2001 class allowed Saban to establish some continuity in the program. Each incoming class should be exactly like this past years...20% play as true freshmen and 40-50% play their second year.

If LSU can keep a cycle like that going, they'll always have depth and will be able to sustain injuries, NFL departures, graduations, suspensions, etc.

6. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

unless clayton has an outragous year next year i don't see him leaving next year look at the likely wr class for next year
    1. roy williams-ut
    2. woods- ok. state
    3. fitzgearld- pitt
    4. lee evans - wisc
    5. usc's star fresh
    6. i think ut's other reciever not bj johnson the other one will be a senior
    thats a lot of talent i just don't see him leaving. i know he is good but i don't think he is better then the top 5 a named. jmho though