A Fair Challenge For Les

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Hawker45, Jul 3, 2006.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Peabody, Terry, . . .

2. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Come on.... the colonel! :grin:

3. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Scrappy

:rofl:

4. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

What ever happened to him!?

5. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

And where's southlink02, proud tiger? Deceks, Tigerinium Major, and Caddilac are prominent, and ColReb. I wonder why no Gator or Vol fans, maybe because they are in the east?

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

A couple of gators come by during football season. BayouTider is a good Bammer but he comes around less often these days. Chuck and Titan from Auburn have been regulars in the past, but have been no-shows for a long time.

7. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Southlink dissapeared a long time ago, I believe...

8. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

yeah, we told him where he could stick it. he keeps up his rhetoric over on aunation.net though.

9. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Good thread. Real data and objective discussion.

This statistic is interesting from my perspective in a couple of respects. One, it should be humiliating for all of the LSU fans--never has LSU been a top 10 program in winning records. Then, in the span of the Saban era, the expectations have risen unreasonably in light of objective data. Can LSU become a top 10 program? Sure, other SEC teams have, but I find it interesting that in recent times, you see only FL and Tennessee in the middle of the pack in the 90's (when, arguably, the rest of the SEC just wasn't as good).

Which brings me to the point that others are making, which is this statistic really doesn't get into the quality of conferences, rather, just the winningest programs, by record. And, when you factor into the realignment of conferences, more college sports spending and more parity, this statistic becomes somewhat meaningless as a current barometer of success. The SEC is the deepest conference, and as you play the averages and look at the lists, you see, it's incredibly difficult for any SEC team to be the most dominant winning program, because of the competitiveness of the conference. SEC teams have to hope year after year that they don't get killed by their own conference, and they have to hope for that year where a "good schedule" gives them a chance to make a run through the conference. Ocassionally, once every three or 4 years or so, if someone has a good team and luck in their schedule they have a shot of going to the NC.

We just don't have the luxury of being USC in the Pac10, Texas or Oklahoma in the Big 12, or Miami in the Big East. So, at the end of the day, I'm not sure that I agree that Les has to have LSU in the "top 10" under this metric to be considered successful. I'm more impressed if Les can year over year, have LSU just at the top of the SEC competing for the SEC championship. If he does that, things will take care of themselves every three to five years.

10. LSUfreshman21

LSUfreshman21 Founding Member

Thats all I want from Miles also. Just keep our team at the top of the SEC every year, bring in quality recruits every year, and compete for a conference championship every year. If he does that then the rest just takes care of itself.