A Game of Thrones Season 6 HBO.

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Feb 21, 2016.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Good Question. I agree, if he has that ability, maybe he should.

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Maybe he already has tried and made it worse and what it is today. It is obvious that he was left on his own when the 3 eyes raven died and he wasn't fully trained. So he has the ability now but that doesn't mean he can do whatever he wants successfully.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Because it seems to me it's purely for CGI budgetary reasons. I suspected they would die, but they are dire wolves not puppies that go out like that. Greywind was supposed to take out a bunch of Freys but nope. Summer just got mauled, Shaggy fuck we don't what happened.

I would be willing to bet that none of the Wolves go out like that in the books. But again it's separate and the books really mean nothing at this point. Just sucks to see the wolves die like that. Hell Summer was one of the 3 wolves that the readers/watchers had the most connection with, now 2 are gone. Greywind and Ghost are the other 2. Now only 2 wolves are left in the show and I doubt the show brings back Nymeria like the books do, so that means 1 wolf left. And it's a huge deal because of the connection they have with the Stark children.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  4. LaSalleAve

That's not a theory, that's a fact but the show has decided to simplify the story. Just like the show decided to simplify Bloodraven's story. I suspect it's because they either A. don't have the time or B. A lot of TV watchers won't be interested in the true backstory of the Night's King. How did Bran know that's the Night's King when that name has never been mentioned to him?

Also Bran can't go in and change the past, he can only see what happened. Can he interact with the people in the past, it seems so but he can't prevent what has already happened from happening, he can only try and understand it so he can ensure he defeats them in the future.

5. LaSalleAve

So it seems to me that Hodor always knew he was going to die in that way. I'm sure the door will be different in the books because caves in trees don't have doors, but to me Hodor is the real hero in this story. All Bran did was fulfill what was preordained by time.

6. LaSalleAve

Let's run down what we know from the books and what we know from the show.

In the books, the Night's King was the 13th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. He fell in love with a woman who had skin as white as bone and eyes ice blue. He planted his seed in her and with it lost his soul. He took over one of the castles of the Wall, The Nightfort and fortified it. The King in the North Brandon the Breaker, and the King beyond the Wall Joramund joined forces to take him down. Since then no castle on the wall has ever been allowed to fortify from the South. All of this happened in the Age of Heroes, not long after the completion of the Wall.

In the show the Children create the Others and the one they show was the Night's King. This takes place during the war between the Children and the First Men, in the Age of Dawn, before the Age of Heroes. We know this because of what New Leaf says to Bran, we were at war, we were being slaughtered, our sacred trees being cut down, we had to defend ourselves. This creation of the Night's King happens before the pact between the First Men and Children. So this is before The Wall, and Before Winterfell and before the Long Night.

It seems to me like this is merely a simplification of the real story. It's a lot easier for a show to just say hey, we created the night's King to use as a weapon, and it got out of control instead of adding the whole backstory.

7. bhelmLSU

To me the wolves dying show loyalty and how awesome they are. They don't fear death unlike many of their human counterparts. Hasn't the missing wolf been seen roaming the Riverlands? It is a big deal but they served their purpose just like I suspect they will in the books.

8. LaSalleAve

How did Shaggy's death show loyalty when his head was just plopped on a table? How was Greywind's death a show of loyalty when they shot him in a cage?

They serve no purpose in the show. Zero. 6 skeletons shouldn't be able to kill a direwolf.

9. bhelmLSU

Because u don't need to see his death (if it happened/or may see later) when we all know how loyal they are. I know the books go into greater details but as just a show watcher to this point it is obvious.

We saw Greywind sense what was happening and struggle to get free and we know he would have done whatever possible to protect Rob and family.

I saw purpose and still do without even reading the books.

My wife wouldn't of shed a tear if it was some random dog with no purpose but she shed plenty.

10. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

So is Bran responsible for Willis turning into Hodor? Meaning, did he induce the seizure that dulled Willis' mind?

You can still do that without killing all of them off. After the 2nd or 3rd time you see it, it no longer has the same impact and it's being done just to do it. Now, the only ones left are Ghost, who will most likely meet the same fate in the war to come, and Nymeria, who we haven't seen since the very first episode.

Last edited: May 24, 2016