A Game of Thrones Season 6 HBO.

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Feb 21, 2016.

1. sunnyjim

sunnyjim Founding Member

I always figured that Sam would find out from a document in the library and sent a raven to Jon.

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Could be...good thought.

Sam will play a role in the War. I was thinking more of finding out ways to hurt the Dead army and/or locations of lost weapons like Dragon glass and Valayrian Steel and weaknesses none of us know about yet.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

That is also a good thought but I'm not sure they would know considering they don't even know Jeor Mormount is dead.

4. sunnyjim

sunnyjim Founding Member

He told the snippy Maester that he was dead and that he was sent by Jon Snow.

5. sunnyjim

sunnyjim Founding Member

Cersei's fetching ass is sitting on about 1000 Valerian steel swords. Sam would know that.

6. bhelmLSU

There could be a Valerian Sword or 2 in there but not likely. Rare commodities and are the blades from Aegon's defeated Westoros enemies.

I believe the only 2 Valerian swords that we know of that were owned by the Targaryens were Dark Sister and Blackfyre. Most of them were destroyed while the Targaryens fled Valryia. Only a 100 or 200 left unless Sam somehow finds more. However, I am thinking same maybe finds out more about the magic used to create the swords or a new method with similar orgins to find a nw way to fend off what is coming.

Also of note...the book version of the throne is about 1000 swords and the show version is about 200.

7. sunnyjim

sunnyjim Founding Member

But the swords in the throne were made from captured swords melted down by dragon fire. Which happens to be how the Valerians made Valerian steel. "Fire and Blood" was the method and that comment was actually made by Varys last night. I wonder why? Sam Tarly earlier commented that the books say only dragon glass and dragon steel kills White Walkers and he conjectured that Valerian steel and dragon steel were synonymous.

There are maybe 200 Valerian steel swords existing and about a dozen named characters have one. But if Sam reasons that the thousand swords in the Iron Throne are Valerian steel, that could be his contribution to the coming war. And another good reason for getting Cersei off of it.

[​IMG]

8. bhelmLSU

Let's say that the previous magic and the dragon fire turned the blacksmithed forged throne into 200 Valyrian swords... How would Sam know that and everyone else not at this point? Tywian tried to purchase extra swords from smaller houses and couldn't get it done and he had the Throne room a few doors down. Would 200 swords be everything they needed on top of what they have to defeat what is coming? But every sword matters so I could see that a possibility and Cersei off of it would be beneficial. Dana coming for her anyway if not derailed from what is coming from the North.

Having said that...Sam finding the lost secret of creating new valyrian steel that was lost in the Doom seems more plausible. Sam/Varys/Tyrian seem to have knowledge, Jon/Dana/Maybe Tyrian have the blood, Red Woman/other Red Priest have the magic, Dana and her dragons seem all tied to back Valyria and Dragonstone. Throw in Bran and Mormont as other players to find new ways or rediscover lost ways to help.

9. sunnyjim

sunnyjim Founding Member

He may not be the only one who knows, Varys seems to know everything, Sam's just the only one who has mentioned that dragon steel and Valerian steel may the same. And he just happens to have a Valerian steel sword now for comparison.

Well the show had a small budget in year one. But the throne has 1,000 swords in the book. That might do it as slow as white walkers actually walk. Winter has been coming for 6 damn years.

Bran is clearly the character most steeped in magic. I suspect he will have a huge role. Maybe even ride a dragon. "You will never walk again . . . but you will fly" -- The 3-eyed Raven.

10. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

[​IMG]
    "Hail Hydra."

Or maybe..
    "No, no water. Listen to me, Ned. His name is [inaudible whisper]. If Robert finds out, he'll kill him. You know he will. You have to protect him. Promise me, Ned. Promise me."
    Jon was named after Jon Arryn, but most likely by Ned, not Lyanna. If Jon is legitimate (Targaryens are polygamists) she more than likely would have given him a Targaryen name...