A heads up for people going to the game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tygertail, Aug 26, 2004.

1. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

If you are traveling from out of town to the game watch out. It looks like the police might be serious this Labor Day Weekend.

State Police plan big crackdown on drunk driving

10:01 AM CDT on Thursday, August 26, 2004

WWLTV.com

Law enforcement agencies across the state will be launching one of the largest campaigns against drunk driving in the nation between this weekend and Labor Day.

WWL-TV
    An unidentified driver is attempts to walk a straight line.
    According to the State Police, close to $400,000 has been allocated to put more patrols on the streets and to conduct more sobriety checkpoints.

State Police said they hope to build on last year’s campaign, which helped reduce the number of fatalities by 6.7 percent.

“What happened last year is that we got the awareness up,” said State Police spokesman Omar Landrum. “The thought is that if we increase the program, maybe we can get more drunk drivers off the street.”

Landrum said that drivers believed to be impaired will be asked to take a field sobriety test and if they fail, will be taken to jail with no leniency.

According to Landrum, more money is being spent in Louisiana, and especially New Orleans, due to the 24-hour entertainment provided, often with access to alcohol.

2. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

They could probably set a record for DWIs if checkpoints are on Nicholson or Highland around 9 pm on Sept 4th.

3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I've realized the last few years I can't drink like when I was a student. I think I only snuck a flask into one game last year. I always see those common breakdowns of # of drinks per hour and how it affects people at different weight classes. However, I've wondered about when you consume quite a bit but then take a 4 hr break. To keep it simple, if I drink about 15 beers during the day and then quit completely @ 5:00, how much would my level go down after 4 hours? Assume there's a meal in there somewhere and drinking a decent bit of water.

I've heard about relatively inexpensive devices that you can test yourself on. Are these somewhat reliable and where would you get something like that?

4. TigerWins

I suspect you would still be legally drunk 4 hours later after drinking 15 beers, or very close to it.

There are some disposable tests you can buy that are relatively inexpensive, but I don't know how reliable they are. One test I've seen is a saliva strip that turns color based on how much you've had to drink ... something like 5 for $20.

Not sure if they are sold in stores, but you can find them on the internet.

5. tygertail

I wonder how long it takes a fifth of crown to leave the system? :geaux:

6. LSUfan4life

LSUfan4life Founding Member

for my sake I hope it doesn't take that long

7. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

If I tried to finish a fifth all by myself, it would leaving the system the same way it came in. :(

8. TigerWins

Many years ago, I was stopped for speeding on my way home after watching an LSU away game at my parents' home. I had 4 beers before the game (thankfully, I had a cold and didn't feel like drinking as much as I normally do) and snacked on food throughout the game. The cop smelled alcohol, gave me the field test, and hauled me over to Troop A station. I registered a .04 on the test.

That taught me that alcohol stays in your system alot longer than you think...

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Just remember this. If you injure someone while drinking and driving, you are at fault regardless of who is at fault. You lose your license, your insurance company cancels you and your job may be in jeopardy. If you, God forbid, kill someone, you are going to jail for a long time. Finding a ride from a sober source can be a hassle but just make your arrangements beforehand. It's not worth it.

I do not speak from personal experience, but I'm old enough to be able to think about the consequences before acting.

10. tygertail

Good Post or option (b) you can drink until you pass out then wake the next day and drive home. :grin: