A little friendly fishing "competition"...

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by Fishhead, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Had the pleasure of taking my friend Brian and his son Jacob about a week ago, meeting my brother at Breton Sound Marina in wonderful Hopedale, LA. The conditions were definitely the best of the year for us, as the forecasted S winds at 5-10 were actually non existant when we arrived at the dock. One major problem...GNATS!!!!! My brother had traffic issues, and was a little behind schedule. We got the boat in the water, and decided to drive around until he arrived. Staying still was not the best option, as the gnats were THICK and hungry.
    -
    Lynn showed up about ten minutes after we launched, and once he was on board, we decided to head outside to "get away from the gnats", since the seas would be smooth with no wind. We arrived at our new spot after about a 20 minute run, and things looked very promising, as right away, we could see fish tailing and pushing! But again, one problem...GNATS!!!!! Oh well, since we're here, might as well fish.
    -
    Lynn was the first to hook up, and soon we had a beautiful 26" red on board. Brian followed shortly thereafter, and added a 28" red to the catch. After that, the gnats just became unbearable. We decided to get away from all land and try to find some trout.
    -
    After a short and feeble attempt at trout fishing, we noticed the wind was picking up a little...and decided to head back to our spot to see if the gnats were gone. Turns out, they were much less ferocious, and after watching the porpoises plow thru eating whatever it is porpoise eat, we were back to fishing. It wasn't long before Jake hooked a beautiful 32" red, and brought it to the net. Not bad for his first ever red.
    -
    After a few more minutes, we decided that...since the wind had really picked up...we could head into the marsh without worrying about the gnats. It wasn't long before we were on a good redfish bite. All of us were able to boat multiple reds in the marsh, and I even stuck a nice flounder to add to the box.
    -
    All in all, it was a great day on the water with good friends, and I can't wait to get back out there. Hope the weather continues to improve, and we get some salty, warm, shrimp laden water moving in soon. I'm ready for some speckled trout action...but for now, I'm certainly not complaining about the redfishing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

No fair :bncry: